64 belair

Old 06-23-03, 05:09 PM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
64 belair

I'm having problems with my 64 chevrolet Belair. It's a v8 283 cu. in. engine. It's been sitting for the last year or two, and I am wondering what sort of things I should look for before driving. I have changed the fluids(oil transmission etc) and reset timing dwell and that stuff. Just looking for some suggestions of things to look for. I would hate to get on the road and have it break down.

P.S.(for Joe) I had a post about this car before and thought it was a 327 at the time. My dad recently informed me its a 283

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-03, 05:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
283, 327, birds of the same feather. Chevy small block .

1) All Fluids.
2) All Filters
3) Carburetor rebuild.
4) Belts, hoses
5) Full tunep
6) Bleed brakes, change all friction and hardware as needed.
7) New coolant.
8) Check differential fluid
9) Wash and wax.

etc, etc, etc, etc.

Old 06-25-03, 07:48 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
ok Joe. Heres an easy one. Was going through my tune up, and decid3ed to check my plugs. Based on my chilton's manual, I've deduced that I have carbon build-up caused by a rich fuel mixture(smelt terribly of gas and was only thing listed that I thought could've caused it), which I believe I have fixed. Now is it better for my car to clean em up and stick em back in or buy some new ones. If clean, whats the best way to clean them, any chemicals i should use? etc. If replace, what should I put in? currently there are champions in there, and I believe their heat level or whatever that is is 12. Just wanna make sure I put the good stuff in and do it right. One more question is. As it is an older vehicle, I have to use a lead substitute. Will any lead subsitute do? is one brand or kind better than the other? I have seen many different ones around here and am wondering what is best. Thanks for all your help everyone, I promise I'll have more questions soon as I am a novice at all this.

Old 06-25-03, 09:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Use AC Delco plugs. Champions have no place in a GM vehicle .

To answer your other question, a set of Delco plugs will run you a whopping $12. Replace 'em.

As for lead substitutes, I never used 'em. I think you can do without them over the long haul. Unfortunately, Chevy engines are lackluster with oil control, so chances are you will be rebuilding the motor one of these days. When you do, use hardened valve stem seats and you shouldn't need to use lead substitutes.

Pontiac had that problem licked years ago---they used hardened valve stem seats way before unleaded fuel became a mainstay.

Old 06-25-03, 10:35 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
just a follow up on my plug question. Im gonna clean one of my current plugs up so it shines as close to new as I can get it, then Im gonna run the engine for a while and check the plug to be sure I fixed the problem. The question is, if I am still running too rich of a mixture, or its a completely different problem, how long do I need to run the engine before the plug will start to show signs of my problem? Do i need to drive it around town for 20 mins, or is it gonna take 1000 miles before the problem will show on the plug?

Just dont want to put new plugs in before Im sure I have the problem fixed.

Old 06-25-03, 12:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you have a rich condition, it will foul the plugs in no time. If the problem is fixed, put in new plugs.

Search this Thread