voltmeter hookup

Old 06-24-03, 12:07 AM
voltmeter hookup

This week I'm going to do a few chores on my van, 85 Dodge B150, 318, auto. My voltage gauge has not worked in a while and I haven't been able to locate the wire that should be there. I have an aftermarket voltmeter and if I can't get the one in the dash working I would like to install it. Does anyone know what would be the proper hookup so I get an accurate reading. I'm imagining I should take this off the ignition switch circut but if anyone has a better solution I'd love to hear it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-03, 10:16 PM
Visiting Guest
going to the ignition switch sounds like more work than it's worth, anything in the van that powers up by the ign. switch(like the radio) would be a bit easier. the key word in that sentence is 'powers up' if you hook it directly to battery voltage, you will eventually kill your battery, as the guage will become a draw on the system. there's should be an orange and red feed to the radio, one is memory and the other is 'ignition on', use that one. the voltage 'should' be the same throughout the vehicle(or close enough for this purpose), ideally you'd want to be at the battery terminals, but like i said, it would cause a draw.

if your old volt guage is in the dash cluster and wired through a ribbon wire printed circuit board, look very closely at those circuits all the way to the main connecter. on older cars, i've found hairline cracks in the 'flat' wire that i've been successful resoldering with a low powered soldering iron, be careful though, the solder likes to work it's way to the next ribbon next to it, use a small amount.

Old 06-25-03, 05:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Does the vehicle have a factory volt gauge? If so, repair that. Better off.

Old 06-27-03, 04:28 AM
Mike, thanks I took it off the radio and it works fine. went to pick up my van after 2 months in storage and the battery was dead because of a direct short in the alternator. I replaced both. Joe, yes it does have a factory voltage gauge that's controled by a printed circut. I probably will get around to changing the circut board at some time but right now I want something to tell me what's going on electrically.

Old 06-27-03, 05:50 PM
Visiting Guest
i'm glad to hear it worked and more importantly, thanks for sharing your 'repair' with everyone here, that also helps others who might be in the same situation as you