Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

bubbles in radiator 3.0 dodge

Visiting Guest

06-24-03, 11:41 AM   #1  
Negoshe8n
bubbles in radiator 3.0 dodge

I have a 90 3.0 Spirit ES. Water pump went up and the car was driven until the pump seized. I changed the pump and it runs great. No problem with it running good, but it has started to overheat. I removed the thermostat. If I open the radiator cap with it running it will bubble over about 8 inches up. Cracked head or blown headgasket? It doesn't smoke or run rough at all.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-24-03, 11:47 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Yup, sounds like a blown head gasket/cracked head .

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-24-03, 09:18 PM   #3  
hey negotiation, before i went ripping cylinder heads off, i would check a few things, it's very rare to see a 3.0L with a blown headgasket, even after what you did

---obviously, is the fan coming on at 212F or with the a/c on

---take a good look at the radiator(front and back), many high mileage ones won't actually leak, but won't do their job of 'radiating' heat, usually all the little fins fall off leaving blank rows of tubes that can't expel heat, feel the air coming off the fan, usually it will be cool to slightly warm while the radiator is sizzling hot, this makes a car overheat like at 55mph too. also is there a reddish rust laying around the bottom of the radiator area with the fins all rusty looking too(this is one step before all the fins fall out, try touching them with your finger and see if any fall) (especially true with a 'body shop' or $95 japanese radiator!)

---look at the bottom of the oil fill cap, any headgasket i've seen go bad that ran awhile, when it mixes with the oil--makes a milkshake inside the valvecover, also check the dipstick, high oil level and milky oil is a definite sign.

---put the thermostat back in, a therm won't make a car overheat and the lack of one might be causing your coolant to be flying out of the radiator

---after all the basics, i would pull all the plugs, look at and smell them for coolant, then pressure test the cooling system for like a half hour at 15 psi, then unplug the distributor pick-up connector(round) and have someone crank the engine(with the plugs still out) if you have a leaking headgasket, you will know it right away! the coolant will shoot out of the cylinders at the speed of light.

if it is head gaskets, do yourself a favor and do cam seals and valve stem seals at the same time, if you're capable of doing a water pump on this engine, you're capable of head gaskets, i think they're easier.

any specific questions? post here

Search this Thread