Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

sway bar links

Visiting Guest

06-24-03, 02:08 PM   #1  
sheank
sway bar links

I was told i needed to replace the sway bar links on my 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport because they are worn. I was wondering if this is a difficult job to do and have the pros do it or is it something that I (with no automotive experience) can do.

Sponsored Links

06-24-03, 04:20 PM   #2  
The nuts on the links are interferance fit and can be a PITA.Just my opinion.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-24-03, 09:49 PM   #3  
you might have a tough time doing it(with no experience), the nuts have a locking thread in them and have to be ratched off the whole way, i use a torx socket with an air ratchet to loosen the link's stud while i hold the nut with an 18mm wrench, you could just as easily use a 'hand' ratchet, however, by 2001 i think chrysler had their infamous end-link problems ironed out, the 1996-2000's were notorious for these.

in my experience, for 2001-present caravans, the 'inner' sway bar bushings went from a soft rubbery rubber (on previous years) to a very (very!) hard rubber and any slop(some i couldn't even see)whatsoever will cause a loud clunk, sounding just like a worn end-link, whoever is 'looking' at your car needs to double check the inners(and outers). the outers i ALWAYS check with a pry bar.

Visiting Guest

06-25-03, 03:50 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I agree with both posters, but..

If I had a 2001 vehicle and anything like this wore out, I'd be asking the dealer why the repair is not free under warranty and why it wore out so fast. What's your mileage?

Search this Thread