Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Valve Cover Gaskets?

Visiting Guest

06-25-03, 06:02 AM   #1  
SimK68
Valve Cover Gaskets?

On the 81' Olds Delta 88, 307CID .... Is it nesassary to put silacone on the gasket,before putting on??

And i have a exhaust leak forming again,after the 1st time was the exhaust manifold gaskes. Now its leaking again, and I cant tell where. How can you pin-point exhaust leaks?

I know Joe,you have a 84', I had the exhaust manifolds re-done already, even though the motor has been replaced, it formed a exhaust leak not even 2 months after I got it out. So I took it back to the guy that replaced the motor, and since hes a independent machanic, it took him 2 weeks to fix the freakin thing,and he charged me labor.

Now again 2 months go by, its formed again,and I dont wanna take it back. Id like to see where its coming from. I cant tell. You know how the smog pump is rigged? It sounds like its coming from there. I cant tell, its a very tight area.

I got so many bugs to work out on this thing its pathetic. I dont wanna take it back,beacuse he takes to freakin long, and him and my dad got into about THAT,and all the $$ ive spent there!

Last edited by SimK68; 06-25-03 at 06:21 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-25-03, 09:20 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Aye. You should pick up a GM repair manual for the vehicle and learn to fix it yourself . That's what I did YEARS ago with my dad . You can get GM manuals at swapmeets and various sources on the internet.

Use Felpro gaskets on these. Silicone is only needed to hold the gasket in place on the valve cover. Make sure both sides are spotless. Do not use excess silicone--it does nothing. The gasket seals, not the silicone!!

Oldsmobile 307's are notorious exhaust blowers. The crossover pipes rot out between the manifolds and the donut gaskets under the bolts with the springs blow out. They are a little bit of a gazorch to do without air tools, but it can be done. The bolts tend to freeze up, so oil/heat them up good.

As for other areas of leaks, the AIR manifolds that screw into the exhausts (look like tree branches) rot out and so do the check valves. Guaranteed those are wasted and have holes in them. Replace both with new pipes and valves and that should quell some of the noise. Any auto parts store will have the valves and pipes, numerous companies make them.

Make sure the exhaust system is sound and free of any rotted or bad parts. Replace anything questionable. Also, the diverter/air management valve on the back of the air pump on a 307 cracks from time to time. About 65 bucks from a Delco distributor.

This is a very solid car, but you will need to stick with it and be patient. My 84 was given to me and saved from the junkyard, but I had to put $600 into it when I first got it---and that's with me doing the work and getting the parts at a huge discount! LOL.

Good luck,

Visiting Guest

06-25-03, 10:12 AM   #3  
SimK68
Originally posted by Joe_F
Aye. You should pick up a GM repair manual for the vehicle and learn to fix it yourself . That's what I did YEARS ago with my dad . You can get GM manuals at swapmeets and various sources on the internet.

Use Felpro gaskets on these. Silicone is only needed to hold the gasket in place on the valve cover. Make sure both sides are spotless. Do not use excess silicone--it does nothing. The gasket seals, not the silicone!!

Oldsmobile 307's are notorious exhaust blowers. The crossover pipes rot out between the manifolds and the donut gaskets under the bolts with the springs blow out. They are a little bit of a gazorch to do without air tools, but it can be done. The bolts tend to freeze up, so oil/heat them up good.

As for other areas of leaks, the AIR manifolds that screw into the exhausts (look like tree branches) rot out and so do the check valves. Guaranteed those are wasted and have holes in them. Replace both with new pipes and valves and that should quell some of the noise. Any auto parts store will have the valves and pipes, numerous companies make them.

Make sure the exhaust system is sound and free of any rotted or bad parts. Replace anything questionable. Also, the diverter/air management valve on the back of the air pump on a 307 cracks from time to time. About 65 bucks from a Delco distributor.

This is a very solid car, but you will need to stick with it and be patient. My 84 was given to me and saved from the junkyard, but I had to put $600 into it when I first got it---and that's with me doing the work and getting the parts at a huge discount! LOL.

Good luck,
Wow! youre the man with all the ansewers!! Well, im not going to screw with it then. I didnt attempt the valve cover gasket either, its not leaking THAT bad. I just tried to see if I could snug all the exhaust bolts up,and I did,and it didnt help much. ITs too hot outside to do anything else. THanks a million!

Visiting Guest

06-25-03, 10:22 AM   #4  
SimK68
Oh, the 'AIR-RECIRCULATING-LINES'? I had thoes replaced with the new motor. It more than likely is like you said, 307s are persistant exhaust blowers. Its always had some kinna exhaust leak since Ive owned it.

Well Im gonna leave it alone for now, as long as it doesnt get severe and mess something else up,and causes it not to pass Houston's strick emissions testing. If it does, then the repair will take place.

Thanks, let you know if I run into any other problems, which I know are on the horrizon

Visiting Guest

06-25-03, 12:37 PM   #5  
Joe_F
AIR (Air Injection Reactor) manifolds. Look like metal tree branches and are screwed to each cylinder head. They rot as do the check valves. That will cause an exhaust leak.

Fix any and all exhaust leaks promptly. It's a safety as well as an economy issue.

Search this Thread