check engine codes

Old 06-25-03, 01:14 PM
check engine codes

How do I check engine codes on a 1997 Olds Silhoutte?
Thanks,

Use to know but forgot

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-03, 01:49 PM
Go to Autozone they will read them for free.You need a code reader or scan tool.

Old 06-26-03, 10:14 AM
net.1
Visiting Guest
codes??

I personally would not go to AutoZone for a diagnostic check up on my car. First, they are not properly trained to diagnose what code comes up. Second, just because a code comes up it does not mean that a part is bad. That takes a skilled person in many area's of automotive repair to find and diagnose it. Third, It takes a scan tool to properly scan the OBDII computer on that vehicle. Snap-on or OTC are the best out there. Pay the money to have a real shop diagnose you car and find out what really is wrong with it. On the newer cars with the OBDII computer system there are many little things that can make the check engine light come on I.E. loose fuel cap, dirty air filter, clogged pcv valve, and many others. The old saying is true--You get what you pay for!!!

Old 06-26-03, 10:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True, but if we had the codes, we could give some indication as to what the problem might be or where to look .

I do agree, most likely NOT DIY repair, but let's see what comes up on their scanner .

Old 06-26-03, 01:02 PM
net.1
Visiting Guest
I agree with you point. I was in no way trying to say anything bad about this site. I have been in the automotive diaganostic tech for about 12 years and know what kind of help the aftermarket retailers are about. The $$$$$$. It's a good concept, but misunderstood by most of there employee's and there lack of training in advance auto repair. So i hope there is no hard feelings, because i personally love this site.

Old 06-26-03, 04:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure, everyone in business is about $$$. That's why they are there. LOL. The trick is to use their loss leader potential to your advantage.

Old 06-26-03, 05:51 PM
Re: codes??

Originally posted by net.1
I personally would not go to AutoZone for a diagnostic check up on my car. First, they are not properly trained to diagnose what code comes up. Second, just because a code comes up it does not mean that a part is bad. That takes a skilled person in many area's of automotive repair to find and diagnose it.
I beg to differ. The three times since moving from Florida to
Indiana, I've used Autozone staff to scan the codes in my car
when the CE light came on. Each time they were able to tell me
what the code was and I was able to purchase the parts right
there. The last time the CE came on it was a faulty EGR sensor,
and I replaced the EGR valve. There hasn't been another
CE light since. It's up to the individual store to train thier
staff on the use of the code scanners. I don't go there expecting
them to diagnose the problems, that's my job. Their job is to tell me what the codes are and wether the parts to fix the issue
are in stock.

Christopher