Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

replace valve cover gaskets

Visiting Guest

06-25-03, 02:11 PM   #1  
yurksy
replace valve cover gaskets

I am plannimg to change valve cover gaskets on my 1987 Bronco11 with a 2.9 litre engine, V-6. is it a big job and is there anything i should look for so i don,t get any surprises. Do i use any sealant on the gaskets? any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Yurksy

Sponsored Links

WV

06-25-03, 05:39 PM   #2  
Yurksy,

Valve cover gaskets on something like that is fairly easy work. Just pay close attention to where everything that you have to disconnect goes. Normally you wouldnt use sealant on valve cover gaskets.
Good Luck,
Hope this helps,
Billy

06-25-03, 06:40 PM   #3  
I agree with Billy- Not too bad a job to do...I would recommend checking the valve covers them selves after you get them off and cleaned up to make sure the edge that the gasket lays in is straight all the way around... Also look at the bolt holes to see if they are flush, and not dimpled in from being overtightened.
As for using a sealant, again he's right, normally you wouldn't. But sometimes, a can of copper coat comes in handy, to keep the gasket "stuck" in place on the valve cover...(this applies when you have to route the valve cover over/under/around components to re-install..)

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 03:00 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I agree with both. The gasket does the sealing, not the "sealer". Use Felpro gaskets.

Search this Thread