Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

EGR question

Visiting Guest

06-25-03, 07:48 PM   #1  
Vendetta
EGR question

Hi guys.
I have a 94 Pontiac Bonneville with a supercharged 3.8L V6 and 125 thousand miles on the engine. Lately it has been getting crappy gas mileage and I had it looked at by a shop and he told me that the EGR valve needs to be replaced. He wants $250 to fix it, and I was wondering if maybe this is a DIY job, because I don't have $250, but I do have time. If it is DIY, what recommendations do you all have? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

06-25-03, 08:07 PM   #2  
The egr valve is not a hard thing to change out..Most likely the largest part of the cost quoted you is for the valve itself..Those electronic ones are not cheap!!
usually, a bad EGR valve will give more symptoms than just bad gas milage.. Check engine light, driving problems such as surging/hitching, ect...When was a regular tune up done last? Meaning plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, PCV ?

Visiting Guest

06-25-03, 08:15 PM   #3  
Vendetta
I did a tune up as soon as I got it (120k miles), and I got it from my brother who takes great care of his vehicles. As for other problems, now that you mention it, it does kinda drive a little funny, and the check engine light comes on but goes off after the engine is shut off. When I start it back up, it takes a good 15-20 mins for the light to come back on. I guess I just omitted those details. So you're saying that it's pretty simple, so you just pop off a couple bolts or something and put the new one on?

06-25-03, 08:32 PM   #4  
Yes, it's fairly easy.. Best memory serves, 3 10mm headed bolts, and an electrical connector..Once it's off, look into the passage underneath, make sure it's not clogged up..

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 02:47 AM   #5  
Joe_F
MsArgent is correct.

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 05:28 AM   #6  
Vendetta
Thanks, guys. I'm going to price a new EGR valve. If it is the same price than I'm going to go with having the shop fix it, but if it's cheaper, than by what you guys are saying it won't be too hard. Thanks again.

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 05:55 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Depends on the source. That is a tri-solenoid EGR valve. As MsA said, they are expensive.

Makes you happy like me that you have a $50 vacuum operated Delco EGR valve .

IN

06-26-03, 06:00 PM   #8  
Originally posted by Joe_F
Depends on the source. That is a tri-solenoid EGR valve. As MsA said, they are expensive.

Makes you happy like me that you have a $50 vacuum operated Delco EGR valve .
I don't have my receipt, but when I replaced my EGR valve on
my 1996 Buick Regal GS (3.8l NA Series II) I think it was between
$170 and $190 dollars. The alternator wasn't cheap either!

Christopher

Search this Thread