Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

My car has lost luster on one side....please help with restoration advice

Visiting Guest

06-25-03, 11:50 PM   #1  
Spursfan
My car has lost luster on one side....please help with restoration advice

I noticed that after the long winter, one side on my car has a noticeable patch of dulled paint. The thing is that the luster on 90% of the car is intact save for a fraction on one side where it appears stripped. I would like to receive tips on what products I can use to restore shine to the anomalous patch. I have tried normal turtle wax but it did not quite get it done. Are there any restorative products I can use? The paint at the affected site is still intact and unmarked, but it appears that if a clear coat existed to enhance the luster, it was eroded by the winter salts. Please help...I'm sure there's a solution from some paint guru out there!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 02:45 AM   #2  
Joe_F
This will require professional work to get right. If the clear coat is burned through, it has to be reshot.

You don't mention what type of vehicle we have here, so we don't know the paint technology or age of the paint...

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 08:27 AM   #3  
darrell McCoy
By chance, did you buy this car/veh. new or used? If used you may have a once repaired panel that is not up to paint specs. As Joe sez, type of vehicle and age would help on diagnosis. Also color. Rare that salt would only affect one particular panel or portion.

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 12:32 PM   #4  
Spursfan
additional info

Well, I have had the car long. It's been in the family. It is a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird(Flame red in color). I still suspect the salt coz I go to school in Montreal, Canada and they have harsh winters there. The other thing is that I parked my car on the street outside my apartment throughout the winter coz we had no designated garage. The street was high-traffic so I have no doubt it has something to do with road splash(on cold dry days there'd be a coat of white-greenish grime on the car's street-facing side). The car has been repired for a dent but the part repaired is intact and not anywhere near the trouble zone. Hope that helps.

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 12:37 PM   #5  
Spursfan
info on the damage

The damage is not only on a single panel. It is on an irregular band that traverses the driver's side from tail light, right up to the middle of the front door. Like I said, it is not a large patch but it is spread over more than one panel.

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 03:07 PM   #6  
darrell McCoy
Like Joe sez, needs professional work done. GM had a rash of paint problems including your vehicle, check alldata and you will find some bulletins concerning same. To late for you I believe to get any help from pontiac as it is a 90 model. 90 model GMC and Chevy vans were notorious for losing paint down to the primer.
Seems few had any results from complaints to proper authorities.
There seemed to be a time period element, for complaints, maybe 5 years? but that expired before paint really started giving problems.

Search this Thread