1986 berlinetta

Old 06-26-03, 12:51 PM
Timayres
Visiting Guest
1986 berlinetta

I have a 1986 Berlinetta that lost power while driving about 55 mph. I idled to a stop and shut it off. Now it will start and then die quickly. The engine codes are as follows, #15 ect sensor , #24 speed sensor, and #34 MAP sensor. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-03, 04:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
And the engine size in this Berlinetta is??????

Old 06-26-03, 05:35 PM
Engine size isnt important to these codes. But it would be useful for further diagnostics. In what order did these codes come? From top to bottom. This is an important piece of info. Try clearing them and then start up the car again. See what if any reset. What else occurred at the time when you lost power? Noise, smoke, did the car belch, burp, hiccup?
Billy

Old 06-27-03, 07:13 AM
Timayres
Visiting Guest
Additional info.

This car has a 2.8L V6. The engine codes were in the order listed above. The car acted as if you let off the gas, then when I got stopped it was idling very rough. I can reset the codes but i'm not sure it runs long enough when it does start to reset any codes (I don't know how long that takes but it just starts, It doesn't run).
I am suspecting the fuel pump or filter. I disconnected the fuel line in front of the filter and before the pressure regulator. The pump will only run for about 4 seconds but I get fuel, however it is not a good solid stream. I don't know how to diagnose the fuel pump

Last edited by Timayres; 06-27-03 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-27-03, 09:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Once again, what does Autolibrary.org have to say?????

Go to Autozone and rent a fuel pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure. They will lend it to you free of charge.

Note to Billy: Engine size IS important for codes as to my recollection 86 2.8 liters are MAF, not MAP equipped. You'd be looking for something that doesn't exist .

Old 06-27-03, 03:58 PM
The codes are the same for either engine. The diagnostics will determine what components are installed.
Billy

Old 06-28-03, 06:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
#34 MAP sensor
----

Sure, but the poster will be looking around in vain for something that doesn't exist .

Search this Thread