frozen clutch

Old 06-26-03, 04:48 PM
JOEL
Visiting Guest
frozen clutch

1993 toyota 2wd pickup
manual transmission has been sittin for 4 months in wisconsin weather the cluch is frozen it will not move I think because of lack of lubercation cant get enginto start withot engaging the cluch. any hints?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-03, 05:16 PM
Are you saying you cannot start it because the pedal will not depress? To engage the clutch start switch?

Disc can be frozen between pressure plate and flywheel. If so, try pushing truck with trans in neutral.

Larry

Old 06-26-03, 05:32 PM
JOEL
Visiting Guest
FROZEN CLUTCH

YES THE PEDAL WILL NOT MOVE i THINK THAT IF I COULD GET ENGIN STARTED I COULD POP IT IN GEAR AFTER SQIRTING TRANS FLUID ON CLUCH?

Old 06-26-03, 05:40 PM
For sure you will ruin the clutch if you spray trans fluid on it.

Short of R&R the clutch the method I gave you should work.

If you want to start it, jump the two wires at the clutch start switch on the clutch pedal.

Larry

Old 06-26-03, 05:51 PM
JOEL
Visiting Guest
FROZEN CLUTCH

COULD I SPRAY WD-40 TO FREE IT UP THE TRUCK IS IN A PARKING RAMP THE COMPANY THAT OWNS IT WILL GIVE IT TO ME BUT I NEED TO KNOW IF IT NEEDS BIG REPAIR OR NOT IT IS 20 MILES AWAY SO TOWING IS NOT A OPTION
THANK YOU
JOEL

Old 06-26-03, 06:05 PM
WD will ruin it, push it down the parking garage ramp

Larry

Old 06-26-03, 06:10 PM
While in neutral rock the truck back and forth, it should break loose

Larry

PS: Kill the caps (your shouting)

Old 06-26-03, 06:14 PM
JOEL
Visiting Guest
sorry im new willtry sun.
thaks much
joel

Old 06-26-03, 06:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Agree with Larry.

Old 06-26-03, 10:38 PM
Visiting Guest
if, as you say, you can't push the pedal down(and to start it) it can be two things, if it's a hydraulic clutch, probably the slave cylinder is all rusted up, if it's a cable clutch, i would say the cable is rusted up, you 'should' replace either, but in the meantime wd-40 might get it out of the spot it's in, just start spraying inside the top of the cable until it comes out the bottom or pull what's left of the boot on the slave and tap it in a little to free it up, wd-40 is not good for the seals inside the slave cylinder so try not to do that. if you finally get the pedal pushed down and the clutch still won't disengage, the friction dics is rusted to the flywheel/pressure plate. with key OFF, put trans in a gear(4th), have a friend hold down the clutch pedal and rock the truck back and forth HARD until it pops (and rolls free with pedal pushed down), hopefully there will be enough clutch left after this to get it home. also with this much rust i'd be concerned about the brakes and caliper slides. be VERY careful about push starting it because you might not be able to stop quick enough and/or disengage the clutch, don't you know anybody who works on cars who can help?