Radiator Fan running even when engine is turned down

Old 06-26-03, 05:46 PM
dimpy99
Visiting Guest
Radiator Fan running even when engine is turned down

I have 96 Dodge Caravan (3.3 Litre) with 125K miles. I noticed today that the radiator fan was running even when I turned the engine down. When I returned a few hours later the battery was dead, possibly due to the fan running. I then go the van jumped and noticed 'Engine Service Soon' light turned on.

I drove it for 40 minutes, then turned the engine out again. Again, the radiator fan is ON. AFter waiting for five minutes, I finally, took the Radiator Fan Fuse out and that put an end to it.

It seems to me that the Fan is running when it should be stopped and is stopped when it should be running.

Does anyone has any clues. I will appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-03, 05:58 PM
get the code checked out to start with. I would say a temp sensor is bad but on newer cars the computer takes in the info and tells the fan to go on, so it could be something more involved.

Old 06-26-03, 06:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Agreed.

Old 06-26-03, 07:11 PM
I would look at the cooling fan relay if it was me,maybe sticking on?Or a short/possible ignition switch malfunction.Multiplexing is fun.

Old 06-26-03, 07:17 PM
dimpy99
Visiting Guest
How can I look at cooling fan relay? Do you know where it is on 96 Dodge Caravan?

Old 06-26-03, 07:30 PM
JoeF has the link to the site.Sometimes you can swap 2 relays if they are the same.

Old 06-26-03, 09:00 PM
Visiting Guest
dimpy, you are so in luck!
your radiator fan relay is bad, it is a solid state kind, meaning--no moving parts--all electronic inside, and also you can't switch it unless you have another caravan of the same kind because there's only one like it on your car(thank goodness)

if you want to see it, take out both halves of your air filter, look down on the frame, it is a little silver/black module that you can unplug to make the fan come off. a problem with this will cause the check engine light to come on.

why waste all this time, call any chrysler or dodge dealer in the u.s. read them your vin number and they will tell you how many recalls you haven't had done, especially #8251--radiator fan relay replacement, see i told you you were in luck. if the recall was already done, there's just two little 5/16 screws that hold it on, they MUST be tight, they hold the relay tight to the frame which is it's "heat sink" probably why it went bad, the heat!!

Old 06-27-03, 08:58 AM
dimpy99
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I called the dealers and they told me that I have three recalls on the van, and one of them is the Radiator Fan Relay. But he added, that this does not mean this will fix it. Sounds $$$$.

What is your suggestion? I have had bad experience with the dealers before.

Old 06-27-03, 09:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You should be able to get the recalls done at the dealer. You are entitled to them. Get them done and see where that nets you.

Be persistent.

Old 06-27-03, 09:06 AM
After the dealer has done the recall work and the fan doesn't work, nothing says you have to let the dealer do any more work. If you don't like or trust the job being done anywhere, tell them to stop, put your car back together, and take it somewhere else. I drove a tow truck for 3 years and took many cars from dealer to private shop and from private shop to dealer because the owner wasn't happy with the quote or the work. A shop can ONLY do work authorized by YOU...

Old 06-27-03, 06:29 PM
Visiting Guest
get the recalls done first, they are always free at any dodge dealer, no matter who owns the car, (i'm 99.9% sure this will fix your fan) whoever is answering the phone at the dealer isn't usually the most experienced person, they usually go by what they are told(told to cover their butt)

if you had a bad experience at a dealer, try a different one, most are night and day different

blazer is so right too, in nj, unless you sign a written contract(the repair order) they can't charge you one penny for anything, first you usually have to authorize diagnostic time (for basically anything) then after that they will present a quote to you to fix the problem, if you say 'no', then you already paid for the diagnosis, most anyone can fix it then(if they trust the original diagnosis) or you can have them fix it if you 'both' agree on the quote(side note: the quote is usually flexible, if they feel you will take it somewhere else, they usually drop the price a little, not a lot though) always remember, you get what you pay for.

second side note: i've had cars towed to me with the engine or transmission in ten boxes in the trunk and i've had them towed out the same way, 'you' always have that option with how 'you' spend 'your' money