cracked exhaust manifold?

Old 06-30-03, 11:10 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cracked exhaust manifold?

2000 nissan crew cab 4x4 6cyl, 3.3L, 55K miles.

I've been reading alot about trucks with this engine having problems with cracked exhaust manifolds on the passenger side. how would i know if mine is cracked? will there be a ticking sound? will the ticking fluctuate with egine RPM? on hot days, after driving for awhile, i will get a metal on metal rattle when i give it gas. That's usally only under load though, not while in neutral. could this be the cracked manifold? i've listened for hissing under the hood on pass. side and haven't heard anything.

any tips on what to look for? nissan will look at it for a diagnostic fee of $80. but if it turns out to be cracked, i pay nothing (warranty until 60K). i don't have $80 to take a chance. i'd like to be sure it's crakced before i go in.

thanks,
mitch.

Old 06-30-03, 11:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tough to say without hearing it. Truck is still under warranty, dealer's problem, not yours, no matter what the fault is .

Old 06-30-03, 01:33 PM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
I would open the hood and using the linkage on the throttle give it gas. You really should be able to hear where the noise is coming from. Will be more of a hiss than anything else. You can have someone else put the truck in gear and give it gas to put a load on the motor which may make it easier to hear also. Just try not to stand in front of the truck for safety reasons.

Old 06-30-03, 04:29 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have no symptoms other than what you have read and a heat shield rattle I wouldn't be too concerned.I f however you wish to check it grab a friend and have them cover the tailpipe with a thick cloth and listen for leaks at the manifold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: