Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

other than junkyards........

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 11:08 PM   #1  
BelairBoy
other than junkyards........

With the exception of junkyards(because I've checked) where is the best place to get parts for older vehicles from like the 60's? Im looking for chrome stripping, dash etc.

any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

06-26-03, 11:47 PM   #2  
You should look at www.hemmings.com . this is a great start for finding anything you need on older cars.

MO

06-26-03, 11:56 PM   #3  
BelAirBoy - You might try looking at www.yearone.com, www.ldctx.com( the Larry Dennis Co. website), and www.auveco.com. Two of these companies cater to the automotive and auto custom industries, but may be able to supply you with what you need or point you in the right direction. Just out of curiosity, what are you working on? There may be special-interest organizations based on your particular vehicle(s) that members of this forum can inform you about. Write back soon! - Chris

MO

06-27-03, 12:10 AM   #4  
I just scrolled down to your earlier post. Is it safe to assume you're working on the '64 BelAir with the 283 small block?

Visiting Guest

06-27-03, 01:43 AM   #5  
Joe_F
If you mean the 64 Chevrolet you drive, just about anywhere.

1) As mentioned, Hemmings is a good place to start.
2) Depends on the parts you're looking for. Some even GM still has available!
3) Some parts can be send out for rechroming/restoration and look BETTER than new when done. Today's technology works wonders on some old parts.
4) Depends on the part. Some auto parts stores can still order from companies that keep parts forever.
5) Just Dashes in Van Nuys California can redo just about any dash to be brand new.
6) There are specialty companies that specialize in Chevrolet. Danchuck, Original Parts Group, National Parts Depot, etc. Most have free catalogs.

Just type in "1964 BelAir Parts" in google.com

You'll get a ton of hits . That era Bowtie is becoming very popular.

Keep old American iron on the road---never destroy our history !

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 02:13 AM   #6  
BelairBoy
thanks for all the quick replies guys. yes, this is for the 64 belair 283. I have got it running good and now it's time for the cosmetics. I'm gonna start redoing the dash and interior and when I finish that I'm having it painted. I need chrome stripping, a new wheel, I mean basically everything. Whoeve owned this car before was a real knuckle head. I pulled the steering wheel yesterday to fix the turn signal, and instead of changing the part when it broke, the idiot pulled the wheel off and wedged stuff in there. He wasnt too bright. Anyways, I'll keep you guys updated on everything I got going. Thanks again for all the help.

Joe, you're right, old American iron needs to stay on the road and kept running. The other day i saw a fully restored Galaxy 500. NICE CAR. my friend has a fully restored 55' belair, I been getting advice from him.

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 06:57 AM   #7  
truckdrivinfool
Along w/ the others keep an eye on E-bay. I have found some nice parts for my old Pontiac. Keep in mind have found even more junk.....lol

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 07:08 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Very true. I sell there, I know . LOL.

I have also gotten great things off of there as well.

Search this Thread