timing belt ok new problem i think

Old 06-27-03, 02:45 PM
Naugghtydawg
Visiting Guest
timing belt ok new problem i think

ok i ran the truck about five miles ran great no problem . jumped in it to go to town went about 5 miles noticed black smoke coming from exhaust - lot of hesitation also it clerars up a little and goes ty back i floored it and black smoke but it cleared up also a smell from catalatic converta i haven't smelled that in a long time im thinking a vaccume line ???????

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-03, 03:05 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You could have a vacuum line knocked off or with a hole in it, sure. Make sure the distributor hold down bolt was tightened (if equipped) and that the timing isn't jumping around .

Old 06-27-03, 03:08 PM
Naugghtydawg
Visiting Guest
thanks joe i should have told u again its a isuzu rodeo 3.2 v-6 no distributor

Old 06-27-03, 06:46 PM
Visiting Guest
if this problem 'just started' i would say to double check your belt timing marks, one tooth wrong could cause this.
if it 'might' have been there before the job, i'l tell you how to check the 'codes' to see if something else might be wrong

let me know

Old 06-27-03, 07:46 PM
Also recheck your vaccum lines.. MAP sensor may be unplugged..
If I remember, you posted a question elsewhere about replacing a timing belt, procedures if the belt had broken??
How does the truck idle?

Old 06-27-03, 09:16 PM
Naugghtydawg
Visiting Guest
Truck idles great the check engine lite is coming on and going off will check it in morning i think the proceedure is to ground it out and watch the lite there should be a long and two short = 12 three times thern it should hit the codes---- long folloed by short i have the code book---- lets see lol any day i can get it to run lol i really don't want to pull it all apart again lol

Old 06-27-03, 10:15 PM
Visiting Guest
yes, that is how you count the codes, the flashing light(it's an all GM system) the wire should be loose in your left foot kick panel, three wires into a white connector with about a foot of slack, ground the two outer pins with a paper clip. i don't actually remember the sequence of 12's though, i've only used a scan tool on that connector, if nobody else answers before monday, i'll check the service manual in work. from your description, i bet you have code 44 'lean exhaust' i can also tell you the oxygen sensor from work(the dealer) is about $240 list for a regular a/c delco sensor, take the isuzu 10 digit part number, drop the first and last number and you have the gm part number, but i guarantee you can find it much cheaper elsewhere, you probably should stay with a/c delco, just my opinion though(can i still say that?)

Old 06-28-03, 02:10 AM
Naugghtydawg
Visiting Guest
parts

i have found a few places online to get good prices on parts beats the dealer by a long shot

http://www.expressautoparts.comhttp://www.expressautoparts.com

http://www.importedcarparts.com/

Old 06-28-03, 04:44 AM
Naugghtydawg
Visiting Guest
ok it has a code 44 so ima going to change all mah vacum hoses first them tackle the oxygensensor. i notice some of the vacum lines are crackinf and its ten yrs old so good time to change um out

Old 06-28-03, 06:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, change any pitted lines!

As for the sensor, if you get the AC Delco part # from www.acdelco.com you can probably source it cheaper than a GM or Isuzu dealer can sell it to you. Should be the same part.

Mike: Of course you can state your opinion. LOL!

Old 06-28-03, 08:35 AM
Naugghtydawg
Visiting Guest
Talking

<as of rt now it may change lol>

Couldn't find a part today ---- everyone has to order --- i took and clean the old sensor put it back on and walla --- i rode about 20 miles no problems<knock on wood> but im sure it needs to be changed anyway --- gunna chnage everything out on it monday

thanks a bunch guys

Old 03-06-08, 09:12 AM
one sign of black smoke is its too rich or fouled plugs,also if your cat is giving you a smell it might be clogged

Old 03-06-08, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Geez, I hope they fixed the problem before now; this thread is 5 years old.

Search this Thread