95' mustang "gas"problems

Old 06-27-03, 08:15 PM
tbug53
Visiting Guest
Question 95' mustang "gas"problems

Hi,

New here,sure hope someone can give me help with my daughter's car..

It's a 95'mustang(6cy.3.8l)...a couple of months ago it started running rough(missing,stalling) and the as mileage was terrible(8mpg)..unless they used super/super fuel....but now that doesn't help...She took it to a shop where they told/replaced the fuel pump....no change! well actually it's gotten worse...now we are smelling gas,the car is cutting off,hard to start,and runs terrible!!!

Someone suggested that it might be the fuel regulator....or the map sensors...is there a way to check on either?Or do you know of another possible answer to this problem?

Would really appreciate any input as I am on disability(not too much to work with) and my daughter is also on a very limited budget(expecting her 1st baby in 23days) and her husband is on limited duty at work while recovering from an accident

Diane

Old 06-27-03, 08:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When you smell the fuel, is it from the front, middle or rear of the car? (I'm assuming you can smell it outside the car)
I ask to help determine if there is an actual fuel leak, or is the car just not burning all the fuel while it's running.
If the smell is coming from the front area of the car, then I'd check under the hood for any obvious signs of leaks..If none are found, then I'd look at the fuel regulator.. To locate this, stand by the passanger side fender, and look for 2 rubber lines that hook into a steel tubing assembly (I'm not trying to "talk down" to you, just going on the assumption of little knowledge for ease of explaining..) A few inches away from where those 2 lines connect is a round "barrel" (fuel pressure regulator) approximately 2 inches in dia. with a red plastic vaccum line attached to it. (the red plastic will have a rubber "elbow" that actually hooks the line to the regulator) Carefully remove the red vaccum line (these plastic lines get brittle and can break easily!!) if you take the line off, and fuel comes out, the regulator is definately bad and needs to be replaced..
The "steel tubing assembley" I mentioned above, is called the fuel rail. It has 6 injectors underneath it..3 on each side, (1 for each cylinder).. Look closely at these, to see if there is any fuel puddled at the base of any one of them...
If you have questions, or get more info, give a holler!!

Old 06-28-03, 06:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Agree with MSA (Sorry, get tired of typing your name..lol)

Check engine light on? When's the last time it saw a full tuneup? Any smoke out of the tailpipe? What color/odor?

Old 06-28-03, 06:38 AM
The name's not a problem LOL! Mike, grouchy, older than moses,
ugly... they all fit fine..

Old 06-28-03, 07:39 AM
I agree. If you smell gas inside the car, then check the fuel regulator. The leaking gas odor finds its way into the cabin via the cowl. A leaking regulator will not always show gas puddling under it if the engine is warm, due to evaporation. But if you feel around it every so often, sooner or later you will feel a wet spot, even if you don't see it.

Msargent, boy was I shocked to see your name is Mike! Forgive me but your handle has long been a mystery to me as I always incorrectly read it as Ms Argent. Another mystery solved

Old 06-28-03, 01:21 PM
LOL! That's good!! Nope Mike Sargent another transplanted yankee..

Old 07-01-03, 08:49 PM
tbug53
Visiting Guest
Question 95'Mustang

the gas smell is strongest inside of the car....we tried to check the reg by the instructions offered in a previous post but was unable to locate a red tube!!!

I finally got so frustrated with the whole situation that I got involved I went to the dealer(they are still making payments) and demanded that they fix the car..the kids have only had the car 3wks and have had to put money into the AC,starter,and battery...

After a little heated discussion the dealer agreed to check the car out and repair it...we have an appt tomorrow and you can bet I am going too...

I do want to say "Thank You" for all of the great input....it's nice to know that there is a place I can goto and find help...

Thank You again

DIane

Old 07-02-03, 03:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good job. Way to go Mom .

Honestly, you did the right thing. If the car wasn't right from the get-go, then it's likely there are problems, which in my mind, the dealer should fix for you.

Let us know how you make out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: