transmission rebuild?

Old 06-28-03, 03:58 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
Question transmission rebuild?

ok guys....... I have run out of stuff to fix on my car with the exception of cosmetics. So, being a guy that loves to get under it and work on it, I got a question. It's a 64 belair 283 auto trans. with a 2 barrel rochester. My question is. This car has the original transmission on it, never been rebuilt nothing like that. It still works great. It's a little slow shifting from park to drive, but other than that its good to go. So, is it a good idea to pull this sucker off and give it a good cleaning/rebuild? or should I leave it be until it starts acting stupid? I've never played with a transmission before, but I have the manual and I think I can do it with some patience. What do you guys think, let this old thing stay where it is, or take it off and shine it up? Also, is this something anyone can do? what kind of special tools are needed, etc. etc. thanks for you opinions

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 05:09 AM
Even though I'm a mechanic/technician/grease monkey I'm 1 of those "if it ain't broke, doen't fix it" ( this could be viewed as being lazy??? LOL) types.. But at the same time if the car is a project car for you, why not???
I worked at a small transmission shop a long time ago, for a short time..Just did R&R, never got to rebuild any myself.. The thing about rebuidling I did learn is to pay attention to EVERY little part you remove. Every washer, bushing, spacer ect... Many pieces will fit back in place with either side of a washer "up", but actually only work with the "correct" side up. There are check balls in the valve body that will come out when you remove the valve body if you're not careful. Mark each and every slot that hold the check balls before taking them out. Many valve bodies have many bolts that hold them in place, but 1 or 2 will be slightly longer than the others (or slightly shorter) mark where these "odd ball sized" bolts go.. When you remove the clutch packs, don't mix the different clutches up, and be careful of what order the disks and spacers for each pack lay..
Special tools- Seal removal tool, bushing removal and installation tool, snap ring pliers are all I can think of at the moment..
A LONG well light work bench will help greatly..

Old 06-28-03, 06:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There's more tools, but MsArgent is right.

I suggest you a get a junkyard unit to play with and learn on if you want to do tranny rebuilding. It's an art and a skill and it's tough to do right.

Leave it alone for now. A simple simon 2 speed will go forvever (Probably a Powerglide in there now). Down the road, you can rebuild it on your own or swap in a new one. If you want to keep the vehicle ALL original, just rebuild that one.. The Vin # is stamped on it and it will be "Numbers matching" if you keep the original unit it came with.

Old 06-28-03, 12:56 PM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
I got a buddy who owns a transmission repair shop. Gonna take it to him when it breaks down. In the meantime I'm gonna go to the junkyard and pick out any random one and practice. Sounds pretty complicated, so I dont want to mess with anything I need for the car. This is something I could seriously get into and have plenty of time to learn on as Im only 17. I think I'll agree with the whole if it aint broke dont fix it. I'm just lookin for stuff to do, so for now I'll do cosmetics and play with someone else's transmission.

On a side note, Im going to change my friend's oil for her cause she's afraid a mechanic might try to screw her by not actually doing the job. How many quarts do I need for a 91 ford explorer v6? 5 quarts for oil and filter? also, how hard is it to replace a battery cable on this vehicle? Her's are old and worn, look like they need a break.

Thanks guys

Old 06-28-03, 01:30 PM
Good call.. It pays to know when you're over your head and need to step back a bit.. I've know MANY "mechs" and work with a ton of 'em who didn't know when to...

When you pick up the oil and filter, the parts store will be able to tell you. I'm thinking 6 quarts when doing the filter..But best to be sure...

Battery cables are real bad, but the "loop clamps" Ford uses to hold them in play along the frame can be a pain at times...

Old 06-28-03, 04:38 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Oil capacity: Have a look in the owner's manual or autolibrary.org below.

Old 06-28-03, 04:53 PM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
just did joe, thanks. 5 quarts, i thought so. Any idea how hard it is to replace the battery cables, and how much a set would cost?

Old 06-28-03, 07:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on source and part #. Compare to www.motorcraft.com for part #s and see how much the price differential is between Ford parts and aftermarket.