Squeeky brakes

Old 06-28-03, 04:56 AM
melws213
Visiting Guest
Squeeky brakes

1994 Toyota Camry

Does anyone know how to stop my brakes from squeeling? I took the car in for service and spent $450 and it's still not fixed. The squeel is coming from the back where there's drum brakes. I took off the wheel and noticed that the brake pad is real smooth with plenty of pad left. I tried roughing up the pad a little to stop the squeel but it only worked for a short while. Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 05:27 AM
Are you familiar with check the adjustment of rear brakes? It's possible that they are slightly out of adjustment, and this is what's actually causing them to sqeak..Jack up 1 uf the rear tires, give it a spin by hand, count how many times the tire spins before coming to a stop...General rule of thumb, it should spin 3/4 of a turn to 1 turns, and come to a "gentle" stop. If the tire just spins round and round, 3,4,5 times or more, the brake are out of adjustment. When adjusting rear brakes, make sure each side is adjusted the same amount...(Meaning the same amount of brake drag, not the same amount of clicks on the adjusters..)

Old 06-28-03, 06:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
On most of these vehicles, the OEM shoe is recommended. Toyota has superseded the part #s many times. Go with the OEM shoe and new hardware and the squeak will likely stop.

Old 06-28-03, 06:13 AM
I guess I hadn't had enough coffee before replying.. but it just hit me, you paid a shop for the job, you're hearing noises, they should fix it..
I do agree with Joe, OEM is the way to go, make sure the shop used it!

Old 06-28-03, 06:40 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
seems some vehicles just will not accept anything but OEM parts.
The manufacture engineers thru diagnosis, trial and error sometimes correct the problems over weeks, months, etc. That is why you see periodic TSB's and recalls. Is it possible that the shoes you are using are a smidgeon wider than OEM's, maybe they are running on an area in the drum that was not previously used? A smidgeon is a very small amount. Some later models of buick had a similar problem, even with factory installed hardware. Maybe not practical, but I have taken rough sandpaper, and put just a small bevel on the outside edge of the shoe. Seems to help some. Look at the inside of the drum and see if you see anything abnormal. Not where your shoe rubs, but on the inside where lug bolt holes are. Like Msargent, its early and I dont think well when I first hit the floor, but hope you comprehend what I am saying. Also as msargent said, hit the shop that did the repairs and see if they will rectify the problem and not try to pacify you. I got a saying, I dont mind paying but I want to get what I paid for.

Old 06-28-03, 01:00 PM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
msargent, just out of pure curiosity. when u spin the rear tire like that, do you do it in neutral, park or reverse? with the car on or off?

but as to your question....... If you paid someone to fix it, and it aint fixed, take it back and tell em to do it right!

Old 06-28-03, 01:18 PM
BlairBoy- As this is a front wheel drive car, it doesn't matter what gear it's in, just make sure the parking brake is not set.
This "spin" method doesn't work for rear wheel drive cars..
I gave this "method" of checking the adjustment based on the assumption the owner didn't have a repair manual handy.. Many repair manuals will tell you how many clicks the parking brake should make as it's being set before it locks the rear wheels. I've seen 5-7 clicks, 1/3-1/2 , handled pulled to a 30 degree angle ect...