Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cooling fan, not working

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 08:47 AM   #1  
theupholsteryguy
cooling fan, not working

The cooling fan is not coming on. Just noticed this as the temp. gauge got hot. first time driven in hot weather since the winter. I live in the great NW. Read the Owners man. and there doesn't seem to be a fuse to replace. Any suggestions on where I start to find the problem?

Sponsored Links

06-28-03, 09:48 AM   #2  
Need to know what you drive. In some cases you will not have a fuse but a relay. If you can find the relay, swap it with another of the same part #. Normally there are at least 2 of the same relay in a car.
Drive out the Issaquah and hang out at the lake if its too hot for ya.

06-28-03, 09:54 AM   #3  
Start with checking the fan. Unplug the two wire connector to the fan and run jumper wires to the fan, if the fan is working next check the relay/s. You neglected to mention what car you're trying to fix, a little more info would be helpful. If you have other same type relays you can unplug one and use it to replace the fan relay while testing. Next would be to check the temperature sensor. Are there any codes. And finally if the car is not worth putting money into and the fan is working you can wire the fan directly off the battery and run a switch into the cabin of the car and turn on the fan while in traffic. Have you made sure the gauge is accurate?

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 11:29 AM   #4  
Joe_F
See autolibrary below and "Read Here Before Posting".

Visiting Guest

06-29-03, 03:05 AM   #5  
Nexxus
Ditto on the needing more information. It hasn't been driven in a while? Try shooting the contacts on the fan's plug with battery terminal cleaner and wiggling it around. The simplest answer tends to be the right answer. If this doesn't work, I fully support Easy's suggestion to jimmy-rig-it. I did this very thing with an old caravan. The fan switch was mounted right next to my doorbell horn. Unfortunately the bearings in the fan soon went out and i had fun driving it into the ground. It wasn't worth saving.

Visiting Guest

06-30-03, 08:10 AM   #6  
theupholsteryguy
cooling fan

sorry about that, 93 chev. cavalier, thanks to all.

Visiting Guest

07-01-03, 10:00 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Bring power to the fan from the battery. If it spins and is quiet, the fan is OK. The fusible link to it, the wiring or the relay may be bad.

Start there and tell us what you find.

Search this Thread