car floor pan rust repair

Old 06-28-03, 10:48 AM
car floor pan rust repair

Do anyone know how to patch rust holes in a car floor pan? Can I just rivet a metal patch? I am not good at soldering.They are small holes now and I want to do this before any water gets under the carpet and eat away my car. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 11:11 AM
First, the water either came in from a leak in the door seal, the windshield gasket or from your shoes. It then gets trapped by the insulation under your carpet where it grows into wonderful rust. Try to find the leak or get a good set of rubber floor mats to catch the water off your shoes. this will help prevent any more Vents in the floor.
Second, Pull the carpet up so you can get to the rust. Using a wire brush, get out all you can of the rust. Get some good "paint over rust " paint, Rustoleum makes some stuff, and get a good few coats in there. Try to get some galvinized sheet and pop rivets to patch it up. Make sure you use RTV to seal the patches before you rivet them down.

Somes places make replacement floor pans, very popular in chevy pickups. They are a cut out and weld in type. They take a little work but are worth it if you intend on keeping the vehicle.

Old 06-28-03, 11:15 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Looks like you got the right idea. Aluminum works well. On small holes I have used body washers on both sides held in place by a short bolt. Clean as much rust away as you can and use a body sealer at the patch edges. Then use a good body undercoating on the underneath sides, this repair will probably buy you a few months, even years. I prefer 3M deadener or undercoating. There are other decent brands as well. 3 or 4 lite coats are better than one heavy coat.

Old 06-28-03, 11:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bear in mind that floors are part of the structural integrity of the vehicle. A poor quality repair could cost you your life if the seat belt anchor ripped out of its mount in an accident because the pan was weak...

What type of vehicle are we talking about? I agree with just replacing the floor pan. In many cases that involves welding, not DIY repair for most.

Old 06-28-03, 11:42 AM
If the hole is not too big I like to use an old liscense plate, it already has the mounting holes.

Old 06-28-03, 02:58 PM
Wink rust holes in floor pan

In reply to joe_cool I am talking about a 1989 ford tempo 4 door sedan with a lot of milage driven mostly in the winter time where they use a lot of salt on the road. Engine, tranny etc working fine it gets me from a to z . Parts are cheap and available everywhere.

Old 06-28-03, 04:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
My vote:

Cut out the rotten section and get a new piece welded in. Safest and best way.

I POR15 my floor pans so they don't rust .

Old 06-28-03, 06:16 PM
or a nice coat of 395A.