How to turn off the "check Engine" light.

Old 06-28-03, 11:02 AM
sotoamaya
Visiting Guest
How to turn off the "check Engine" light.

I did a tune up, and also added chemicals to the fuel tank of my 1999 VW 4 cyl. turbo, 1.8 Passat.
Immediately, the "check engine" light went on, where there was no problem before.
The vehicle does not accelerate, but constantly surges to no more than 20 mph, has a clear loss of power, although the engine receives fuel.
There seems to be no spark. I replaced the plugs, and moved the resistor units around. But to no avail.
I want to turn the "check engine" light off, as a way to eliminate whether there really is a problem, or if this is just a coincidence.
The ECM was disabled with the same idea in mind.
Other than that, what are posibilities, or solutions I must consider before sending the vehicle to the shop?
Sincerely,

Marv[SIZE=3]14[/SIZE]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 11:18 AM
Sounds like you left something unpulged durring your tuneup or got something mixed up like plug wires. Once you find the problem, the light should go off. Very carefully, check all your work 2 more times. See if you can rent or borrow a code reader, if you can't get it to someplace that can. That should tell you the problem.

Old 06-28-03, 11:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You may have a bad ignition coil. Common on this vintage VW. VW should cover it under a recall/warranty, check with VW or the dealer.

They've eaten many repairs on my sisters 2000 Jetta, including a head gasket repair.

Old 06-28-03, 11:47 AM
sotoamaya
Visiting Guest
Thank you note

[SIZE=3]14[/SIZE]

I sincerely thank you for helping.

Marv

Old 06-28-03, 12:51 PM
Re: Thank you note

Originally posted by sotoamaya
[SIZE=3]14[/SIZE]

I sincerely thank you for helping.

Marv
You can usually disconnect the battery cable for ten minutes or
so and reconnect it to dump the codes in the ECM. If the code
comes back, a place like Autozone should be able to read the
code for you. If not, then it might have been a nuisance code
set if the engine misfired. What chemicals did you add to
the tank? There IS at least one TSB regarding the Check Engine
Light coming on during a misfire on 1.8L TC Passats.

Christopher

Old 06-28-03, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Unless VW has some different (non-OBD-II) OBD arrangement, disconnecting the battery won't clear it.

Old 06-28-03, 02:52 PM
Marv,

First thing, turning off the light will not make the problem go away. Second, You can not turn off a check engine light on an OBDII system just by disconnecting the battery. It will reset the light shortly after a restart. I can almost bet you have misfire codes in this particular car. How much gas was in the tank when you added the chemicals? These cars are very particular about the type of plugs and the purity of the fuel for some reason. Did you use the factory specified plugs? Also 89Blaze has a good suggestion. Check and Double check ALL connections, including the vacuum lines. There are a couple of them right there on the top of the engine that will cause similar problems if disconnected.
Good Luck,
Hope this helps,
Billy

Old 06-29-03, 06:31 PM
sotoamaya
Visiting Guest
The chemicals........

[SIZE=3]14[/SIZE]

...........I used were a carb/injector cleaner, and miracle oil.
The problem surged immediately after the chem's were added.
I replaced the fuel filter. It ran excellent, and performed much better than before on the tryout, but later, after a couple of hours sitting, on the re-start, the problem was back, and for no apparent reason.
The battery has been disconnected, to change the filter, so the light issue does not dissappear.
It is clear that you cannot do a diagnostic w/o the code scan.
The engine has never misfired, but it runs lacking pep, even though there is enough fuel coming in.
I'll be going to the shop to have it scanned, and then go from there.
I decided that I will never own any VW's again.

Marv

Old 06-29-03, 07:02 PM
Visiting Guest
i love people like this, they tune up their own car(did you gap the plugs)add all kinds of 'snake oil' to the gas tank against the manufacturer's recommendations, now it runs terrible with no power since the 'tune-up' and now i'll never own another VW?!?!

did the car break itself??

Old 06-29-03, 08:42 PM
Visiting Guest
ps. i'm pretty sure the passat is an AUDI rebadged as a VW, so you could say you "have never" owned a VW

Old 06-30-03, 04:03 AM
Mike,
You are abolutely right, VW and Audi are together in every way. Look under the hood of either one and you will see the same engines and VW and Audi's signature OOO's on most all of the parts, even the cylinder head.

Marv,
You cannot tell if it has misfired just by listening to it. The plugs and the additives can cause it to misfire. These cars will set misfire codes if you sneeze funny. Im not kidding here, I have seen it many times. The plugs in this car are very crucial.
When you take it to have it scanned the misfire codes are P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303. P0304
P0300 is a Random misfire
P0301 is a cylinder 1 misfire
P0302 is a cylinder 2 misfire
P0303 is a cylinder 3 misfire
P0304 is a cylinder 4 misfire
Most times the P0300 will come up accompanied by a particular cylinder.
Hope this helps,
Billy

Old 06-30-03, 04:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Marv:

Follow what we are trying to say...

Tank treatments=not worth 50 cents. They do nothing. If you had to 'add' them, the problem is elsewhere and there's no fix in a bottle.

Retrace your steps. An elementary way to check for spark on each wire is to use a timing light. If it flashes erratically on a wire, your problem is likely on that cylinder. You wouldn't know it's getting "enough" fuel without a fuel pressure gauge.

As mentioned, check your work for anything you might have missed or done incorrectly.

When you bring it to VW, ask about the coil recall. It will cause this type of problem, and VW DID have a recall/campaign on this.

Audi vs. VW, etc=same basic vehicle, poorer owner, less in the wallet, same lackluster quality.

Old 06-30-03, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by billys68ss
Marv,

First thing, turning off the light will not make the problem go away. Second, You can not turn off a check engine light on an OBDII system just by disconnecting the battery. It will reset the light shortly after a restart.

Good Luck,
Hope this helps,
Billy
That's true for a hard code like an part failure, but for a
soft code like an engine misfire the light generally doesn't
return. That's been my experience working on GM OBD and
OBDII cars. I've had a couple occasions where the light came on
on my Buick and after it was shut off and restarted it stayed
off. Those are the soft (or nuisance) codes. If you clear the
ECM (and my manual agrees, the first step in reading the ECM
codes is clearing any intermittents.) any codes stored
on restart, relate to the current problem at hand. My 1995 Ford
Windstar has a entry in the owner's manual about codes turning'
the light on and off, in effect "self-correcting" themselves, as
well. It's OBDII too.

The thing that concerns me about the original post is his
saying the car won't do over 20 mph and that he disabled
the ECM. I agree with Joe that those cars do have issues
with thier coils and replacing it would be a good idea.

I do wonder how he disabled the ECM and wether or not he tried to start/run the car with it "disabled". I also think when that soup that was poured into gas tank hit the engine, it at least set some misfire codes. (I think he meant Miracle Master fuel system cleaner rather than Miracle Oil, but there's so much
of that junk on the market it's hard to tell. I'd hate to consider the effect of pouring STP oil treatment into a gas tank might be!) I also agree with Joe that there is NO tuneup-in-bottle!

The bottom line is, he needs to get the car checked out,
preferrably by a good mechanic and have the codes
read. Then he'll know what the problem is.

Christopher

Last edited by ChristopherT; 06-30-03 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-30-03, 11:05 AM
Again, likely possibility that you used the incorrect plugs, and fouledthem out with the puke in the bottle. The 1.8 Turbo uses a NGK or a Bosch plug with 3 electrodes and doesnt require gapping, but you have to use THE CORRECT plug. You cant just use any plug marketed for that engine. Audi/VW has a bulletin out on this as well.
You can check with the shop about the coil problem, but IMHO, thats not the problem just from your description of what you did and what the car is doing.
Billy

Please post back and let us know what you find out.

Old 07-01-03, 08:14 AM
sotoamaya
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your help!

I can see many are well intentioned, and for this I truly thank you!
Others are not offering much, to those, I also thank you, but feel it is better if your time were spent on other more fruitful endeavors!
The vehicle is running w/o a hitch - so far, the light is still on, and I will certainly follow on the good sound advise you offer.
By the way, the chems were solely with the idea of "maintenance", as opposed to a solution to a problem.
I realize that after many years of doing my own auto repairs, electronics are an absolute must, and will from here on make certain that I always have a code scanner, along with the repair manual (which I have always had - for good reference).
Many thanks for your time, gents,

Marv