Noise in Steering after Alighment

Old 06-28-03, 03:16 PM
Willem
Visiting Guest
Angry Noise in Steering after Alighment

I have just had new High Performance tires installed and a wheel alighment done. The car is a 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS. After one day I noticed a light thumping noice every time I turn the wheel The noise was not noticed prior to the new tires and alighment. IT does not matter if the car is still or moving the same noise is heard.

Could it be that the mechanic overtightened something or something else and it is a coincidence ? Please help !

Willem

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 04:34 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Larry "Toyotaman" of this forum is your man here---memory recalls that these era Avalons have suspension bushing recalls/problems.

Check alldata.com for any that match your symptoms.

Old 06-28-03, 04:54 PM
If the noise started right after the work was done, go back and have it checked out. *Maybe* they forgot to tighten something! Maybe your lugs are loose? A good chance has something to do with work done

The TSB is for the upper strut tops, thats for noise over bumps. Dosen't seem to fit your problem. You say it thumps sittin still? from where?

Any other work done?

Larry

Old 06-28-03, 06:17 PM
Did you have over sized tires installed? If so, it's possible that they hit some part of the inner fenderwell when you turn the steering wheel. But as the other's suggested, take it back and get it checked.

Old 06-29-03, 03:12 AM
Willem
Visiting Guest
The noise is as I am turning the wheel it sounds like two joints with dry lubrication. I guess thumps is a strong word but it the sound is as I am turning the wheel and two knukle joints without lube. IT is not loud but muted

Willem

Old 06-29-03, 03:50 AM
Is the noise inside the car?

What would describe the noise best, is it a squeak, moan, scraping, ticking, tapping etc. Is it rhythmic, rotating with the wheel, does it occur at the same postion of the wheel.

Does it happen when the car has sat in the sun?

Larry

Old 06-29-03, 04:18 AM
Willem
Visiting Guest
No, but you can hear it from the inside. It appears that after listing from the outside in the wheel well and my wife turning the wheel that it is outside. It is appears single tap but multiple times depending how far I turn the wheel and the changing. IT does appear that it happens in the same multiple locations as I turn either right or left. It is not rhythmic just a single tap. IT can be described as when you have two socket joints that are over tightened and without grease and trying to rotate.

It does not appear that the weather or sun has an effect as it happens after sitting in the garage or parked outside.

Thanks,

Willem

Old 06-29-03, 04:35 AM
Open the hood and see if you can feel the noise from the strut nut where it enters the upper mount.

Larry

Old 06-29-03, 05:42 AM
Maybe the guy left vise grips on the tie rod end.I've seen it before.LOL

Old 06-29-03, 07:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Davo is correct. I have a Miller Stripper and a Snap On 3/8" air rachet---I found both in the street .

Old 06-29-03, 06:30 PM
Willem
Visiting Guest
I have listened to the with my wife turming the wheel.The noise is coming from behind the wheel. I can hardly from the engine.

Willem

Search this Thread