Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1995 Chevy Grinding Noise

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 06:14 PM   #1  
jscoburn
1995 Chevy Grinding Noise

Hello. I own a 1995 Chevy K1500 Z-71 Silverado pickup. It has the 5.7 350 engine and is an automatic. For the last several thousand miles, I have had a grinding noise. The noise "seems" to be coming from under the floorboard near the four wheel drive shifter on the floor. The noise is especially prevalent while travelling at low speeds. When I take off in it first thing in the morning, the noise is not there. However, a few miles down the road the noise will appear and stay there. The four wheel drive system does work. I have no problems shifting gears. When the problem first serviced, I took it to the dealer for routine transmission service. The mechanic noticed nothing wrong. I then took it to another place and they found a cracked front passenger side axle. I had it replaced, but the noise is still there. I checked alldata.com and there was a general recall for "No Drive or Reverse Gear/Noisy When Driving", but I can shift all gears fine. I am no ace mechanic, but looking under the truck I do see the front differential that is in the general vicinity of where I "think" the noise is coming from. It has been suggested to me that I may have a hub/bearing problem which I don't know how to check. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. I have had this truck since it was new and this is the first problem I have had (knock on wood). Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 07:23 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Inspect the U joints on the shafts for play. Maybe worn or loose.

Search this Thread