engine kill switch

Old 06-28-03, 06:43 PM
wwc
Question engine kill switch

I am building a street/strip car and I moved the battery to the trunk,now to stay legal at the strip I need to install a switch either a turn type or push/pull type that will kill the engine if there was an accident and not just disconnect the battery which would do nothing if the car was still running.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 07:15 PM
fuller911
Visiting Guest
You could wire a switch in series with your fuel pump power feed.

Old 06-28-03, 07:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Fuel pump inertia switches (if they meet your requirement) are available through many sources.

Fords have them as OEM equipment.

Old 06-28-03, 08:05 PM
you need to check your hi performance shop for a turn style cutoff switch. If you are needing this in the drivers compartment, put it inline between the main power and teh ignition switch. This will cut all power to everything teh ignition controls. I you are needing the battery cutoff then the same switch is required to be outside the vehicle in the rear. Your sanctioning body should have very specific rules on this. Don't spare any money on the switches or wiring in this application, it will save your life!!!

Old 06-28-03, 10:43 PM
wwc
Yes it must be outside of the vehicle at the rear so that if anything happens a person can just throw the switch to the off position or push the knob in to kill the engine.
I run a mechanical fuel pump and when the switch is put to off all power must be stopped and electrical power interupted.
Does anyone know how to wire the the switch?
I know you can't just put in between the wires to the battery,that would only be acting as a thief deterent and then only if the switch was hidden but in this case it must be in the open and clearly marked.

Old 06-28-03, 11:36 PM
You need to find the wire that leaves the alternator and goes to your distribution center. If you put the cutoff switch here, it will turn off EVERYTHING. If you have any other leads comming off the battery, for say a stereo, make sure they are also included in your switch. The whole idea is to cut EVERYTHING electrical in the car. You don't even want a constant power to a stereo or a dome light comming on if you have a fuel spill.

Head to the track and ask around, this is something anyone should share info about.

Old 06-29-03, 04:05 AM
I think the first thing you need to do is purchase the switch from somebody like Jeg's.

This might be what you need http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...54&prmenbr=361

Larry

Old 06-29-03, 12:50 PM
wwc
Thanks Blaze and others for the help.
I will probably be buying this switch below from Jegs.
I may have to go to the track and hope to find someone friendly enough and time to spare to show me what to do.
Thanks.
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...15&prmenbr=361

Old 06-29-03, 06:08 PM
Visiting Guest
what i would do is put the battery and fat alternator wire on one side of switch, the rest of the car on the other side, that way all power devices are isolated from the rest of car, before i did that i would call a big name nhra chassis shop in the back of the speedway newspaper and ask what they do, they've probably done it hundreds of times, no need to reinvent the wheel.

also, if you have an electric radiator fan, it must be run through a relay. a fan at full speed with the battery cut off, will turn to a generator as it spins down and produce enough juice for 3-5 seconds to power the ignition system, I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN, no need to be fiddling with wires after tech fails you when you can be running time trials.

make sure all new terminals are crimped THEN soldered then hopefully shrink tubed. i would highly recommend running wires inside convoluted tubing and zip-tied away from all exhaust and moving parts and not run hanging down under the frame to get caught by branches or crushed by a jack.

what a lot of cars do is put a 'ford' style solenoid right after the cut-off switch for the main starter wire and have it be energized by the ign switch, that way that large unfused wire hanging down in the elements is only 'hot' while cranking the engine

make sure you talk to someone whose done this