strut rod bushings

Old 06-30-03, 06:46 AM
strut rod bushings

1985 Dodge B150 van. Need strut rod bushings in it and would like to know if this can be done with hand tools? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-03, 08:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure, but like any suspension work, air tools make it a breeze

Old 06-30-03, 07:13 PM
Visiting Guest
yes---with BIG hand tools, like a big pipe on a big ratchet, or on a big wrench, these nuts usually stall my 1/2 inch impact gun, sometimes i have to use a torch to heat them up to finally break it loose.

they sure do look easy to replace, keep in mind you need to loosen the rear nut all the way, then unbolt the front to slide the rod forward to get both halves of the bushings out, you'd better have this thing (van) supported very well with all the tugging your going to be doing

Old 07-01-03, 11:39 AM
Another question on this, I wanted to get oem parts and my wife's cousin owns a Dodge store and he won't order it because it's too old. Is there another place to order oem bushing or should I just go to my local auto parts store. I've noticed there are a number of different prices on the bushings. anyone have a recommendation. I also will lubricate them the day before I do the job with penetrating oil and have a propane torch on hand.

Old 07-01-03, 12:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does being too old have to do with ordering parts? If the part #s shown in the parts catalog are still available, they can be ordered.

I never understood such ignorance on the part of dealerships! Part #s are part #s. Sales are sales! Geez!

However, any parts store probably has these in the Moog or TRW brand.

Old 07-01-03, 02:32 PM
Joe, like I've posted many times here, the dealers books/parts catologs only go back 10 years. I've gone to many dealerships in my travels and get the same story from every dealership. I hate it but that's the way it is. My wifes cousin will not work on my van for the stated reason, "it's to old".

Old 07-01-03, 04:30 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Nothing more than ignorance, sorry to say.

The Bell and Howell parts system which most dealerships use goes back to 1981 on Jeep and 1982 on Chrysler's full line. I know, I have it at work---and I don't even work at a dealership!

Any dealer still using parts books is about as obsolete as the buggy whip. Most dealers went to microfiche in the mid 1990's, and E-fiche around 1998 or so.

Shame on them if they don't have information older than 10 years. GM's parts system goes back to 1973 on trucks, 1953 on the Corvette, 1976 on passenger car and microfiche goes back to the 1930's on some models.

Chrysler's parts systems have always been bottom barrel of the big three with Ford running a close second, however their current system will go back to 1980 electronically.

Find a competent dealer that supports older product, they are out there. Ask them if they use the Bell and Howell system.

1984 and 1985 trucks are covered in the same parts catalog.

Last edited by Joe_F; 07-02-03 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-01-03, 07:30 PM
Joe..... Most Chrysler Dealerships dont use Bell and Howell anymore, because Bell and Howell is something else now, I cant remember what they are, but you are right about the dates. We had that program and whoever is telling this poster that they cant, or wont, order parts for a 1985 "because it is too old" are just plain ignorant. I ordered parts for early to mid 80's cars all the time when I was at Chrysler this past year. Someone just doesnt want to help you.
Billy

Old 07-02-03, 03:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

"Bell and Howell-ProQuest". But, B&H still exists I believe.

I ALWAYS have my own parts books, no matter. What. Shoot, I even have them for my mother's 60's appliances (in mint condition).

As you guessed, when I went for parts, guys are like HUH??? when you give the model # and ask for something. I had to look up my own part #s and say, "Order this, it's a good #". Then they are like, "Where did you get that information????" When I showed them the official parts catalog they were like WOW. LOL.

I always do my own research with part #s .