Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

4runner A/T oil temp light

Visiting Guest

06-30-03, 12:39 PM   #1  
Creede
4runner A/T oil temp light

I have a 1995 Toyota 4runner I purchased used. After about 30 miles at highway speed, the transmission oil temperature light comes on. If I slow down, 35 mph, for a few minutes, the light goes off. It looks like the transmission and transfer case have recently been removed and replaced. The radiator also looks like it is new. The transmission oil is clear and not burned.
Any ideas?
Creede

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-30-03, 12:43 PM   #2  
Joe_F
There's a sensor for the light which might be bad, but I'd change the fluid to be sure. Assume it was not done before you got it.

06-30-03, 12:58 PM   #3  
Check the fluid level. Low fluid will cause slipping and heat. If it has a tranny cooler, make sure the lines are hooked up and not capped.

06-30-03, 04:08 PM   #4  
Common problem with this trans if you use other than top quality fluid. We had this problem when they switched suppliers and thought they got a great deal on our bulk trans fluid. One by one they came back with ATM temp lites on.

Only if you drive 65-70 mph for 45 mins or more. Changed out with good name brand bottle fluid and problems gone.

Larry

Visiting Guest

06-30-03, 04:19 PM   #5  
Creede
Hi Larry
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like that is the best guess so far. Do you recommend a brand.? Did they switch from dextron ll on these? I think I heard some where that they had changed.
Thanks again.

Creede

06-30-03, 04:47 PM   #6  
It is Dextron III, any of the well know names: Castrol, Quaker State, etc

Larry

Search this Thread