Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plymouth Voyager Brake lights staying on

06-30-03, 05:27 PM   #1  
Plymouth Voyager Brake lights staying on

I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager and the problem is the brake lights are staying on. Whenever I get out of van I got to make sure and check to see if they are stuck on if they are then I go and hit the brake pedal about 3 or 4 times and they will go out. It only did this every now and then now it is doing it almost everytime, and I bet they are on when I am driving. Does anyone know what this may be. If so just point me in right direction and maybe explain a little. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-30-03, 05:30 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Likely a wasted brake light switch. The dealer or any parts store has one, only a couple of bucks.

Should solve the problem.

06-30-03, 07:02 PM   #3  
Where is the brake light switch ? Is it under brake pedal ? How does it come out ? Thanks

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-30-03, 07:26 PM   #4  
get a flashlight and on your knees next to the van with the door open, some vans have a little black panel right above where your foot goes on the brake pedal, if you can't figure how to get that panel out, you aren't going to replace the switch, some have two phillips screws, some have two or three push clips. after the panel is out, follow the pedal up about 4-6 inches and there is a switch with a few wires coming out, if pulling UP on the pedal turns out the lights, you can sometimes adjust the switch toward the front of the car a little (like 1/8 inch). look how it works, push the pedal a few times with your hand, you'll see as the pedal is pushed, the plunger comes out of the switch, this is what turns on your lights, adjust the switch so the lights only come on with the pedal pushed, also make sure the switch "stays" in proper adjustment, if it doesn't, it might be broken and time for a new one (this might fix your cruise not working too)

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 01:17 PM   #5  
skim35
Also check out your brake & rotors. I ran into the similar problem with Dodge Caravan, and it turn out to be badly damaged rotors caused by harsh braking.

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 10:11 PM   #6  
knuckles
skim35--

Please explain how "badly damaged rotors caused by harsh braking" would cause the brake lamps to remain on?

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 10:37 PM   #7  
skim35
Parden my mistake.
I thought we were talking about brake check warning light. I had this light comming on & off as I brake. Sometimes it came on while taking sharp turn. Did not find anything wrong wih fluid level.

Then the mechanic replaced front two damaged rotors, and problem went away.

07-07-03, 05:12 AM   #8  
SMJ7039:

I too have a 95' Ply Grand Voyager and have recently run into a similar problem....the brake lights STAY ON after you have stopped the engine and parked the vehicle. The brake lights mayalso be remaining in the ON state during driving - but i am unable to confirm that. I have not attempted to tap the brakes to turn the lights OFF, but have been disconneting the battery - that seems to be the only soluiton to turn them OFF.

I'm curious if you have found the culprit...pls let me know what you turn up. I had my brakes recently inspected, and they seemed OK, but not sure if it is the switch and/or the brakes. I would appreciate you keeping me posted.

thanks
tom

Visiting Guest

07-07-03, 05:28 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Usually that is a brake light switch gone bad or out of adjustment.

Original poster: Have you solved the problem? What fixed it?

07-09-03, 04:23 PM   #10  
Sorry to take so long to get back with you, but the problem was the brake light switch and it was real simple to fix. It just had a wire harness to it you unclipped and twisted switch out. Reconnect the harness and twist the switch back in. Like I said it only took about 10 min after getting the part which was $10.99 at Autozone or $12.99 at Advance. After changing switch out I pushed on old switch a couple times and it stuck in and had to mess with it to get it back out. So once again thanks everyone for the great help. Steve

Visiting Guest

07-09-03, 05:11 PM   #11  
Joe_F
Good job and you're welcome. There you have it

Search this Thread