VAPORLOCK-1977 lebaron

Old 06-30-03, 05:51 PM
Question VAPORLOCK-1977 lebaron

Can someone please tell me what causes VAPORLOCK and what are the symptons. I have a "77" Chrysler Lebaron Medellon,318 two barrol carb,automatic. I live in Arizona with 110 degree temp in the summer ( thats when it happens ). I have replaced the carb,fuel pump & filter,and recent plugs,cap & rotor. The lady who sold me the car drove only 1600 miles per year. ( 40,000 original miles) After 15 minutes of 110 degree driving the car starts acting as if it is running out of gas, and then it finally stops altogether and will only start if I pour gas down the carb. After it cools down for a couple hours, it then starts and stays running, till it heats up again. If it is VAPORLOCK, how do you fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-03, 07:25 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
steve: I checked alldata, you can also read by going into the web site. There was a TSB on the problem that you described. You may be able to go to a chrysler dealer and see if they have the procedures that you want, Let you read or print out the TSB, or get a subscription to all data. With the TSB, possibly you can rectify the problem yourself. Problem probably went totally un-noticed by the previous owner due to the few miles they drove the vehicle.

Old 06-30-03, 08:06 PM
Visiting Guest
you can certainly 'try' to get something like that from a dealer (the information OR the parts), not that they won't give it to you, it's that they probably can't. our service bulletins only go back to 1992 electronically, after that, unless they saved the actual paper bulletin in a file since 1977 (unlikely) and on top of that, i can almost guarantee that something so rare as a part like that has been discontinued for at least ten years, but it won't hurt to try, just don't be surprised at the looks you get from the kids at the counter who weren't even born when this car was made.

on to your problem, fuel boils at a very low temp, like around 120 degrees(give or take), if the air temp is close to that, it doesn't take much more to boil it in the lines, causing nothing but 'vapor' to get to the carb, which it can't run on for very long. if the car isn't overheating(160 degree thermostat, clean inside the radiator, clean outside the radiator, no loose or falling out rad fins, no green fins, no rusty fins, viscous fan that is working 'properly') then it's time to get creative and insulate the fuel lines, maybe someone else has some other ideas, maybe you can try aluminum foil or NON-flammable insulation of the fuel line from the pump to the carb, and about 3-4 feet before the pump too. the idea is to prevent heat from getting to the fuel, even the fuel in the carb too, maybe summit or jegs had a carb spacer that will insulate it from the intake manifold. one time i was in a chevy dealer and saw hanging on the wall a 4 barrel carb gasket with about one foot of sheet aluminum surrounding it to shield hot air from reaching the bottom of the carb.

maybe you can talk to an old timer in your area who has certainly run across this before, hopefully something here will fix your problem. ps. fuel injection cars don't have this problem, the fuel is under such high pressure that it's boiling point is raised just like inside a radiator with a 15 pound cap, same principal

Old 06-30-03, 08:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Mike. Things like that turn up on Ebay. They were bound manuals that had the TSB's by model year. I know, I have the 1984, 1985 and 1987 versions downstairs . Some books covered multiple years.

Old 06-30-03, 08:37 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Steve:
You can thank mike for jogging my antique memory. Years ago we used to buy "gas line insulation kits". Old fords were bad. So if all else fails check with an old auto parts sales like whitneys. They may have something in the insulation order. I havent seen these kits in probably 40 years. You might get lucky and find a parts place that still has something of that nature. If they snicker, just tell them its for your great, great, great grandfathers Model -T

Old 07-01-03, 04:58 PM
Guess it's time to show my age... Way back when, you could put a wooden clothes pin on a fuel line, and it worked wonders...The next question is, where in this day and age can you buy wooden clothes pins????

Old 07-01-03, 07:21 PM
msargent..... You beat me to it... drat.... LOL. I remember doing that on my Dads old 50's Chevy trucks... ALOT. You can probably get some wooden clothes pins in an OLD grocery store.

Joe.... Just before the Chrysler dealer closed in January we threw away probably 3 big ole Dodge truck loads of those old books. Its a shame i know.

Old 07-01-03, 11:40 PM
Re: VAPORLOCK-1977 lebaron

Originally posted by steve bukovitz
Can someone please tell me what causes VAPORLOCK and what are the symptons. I have a "77" Chrysler Lebaron Medellon,318 two barrol carb,automatic. I live in Arizona with 110 degree temp in the summer ( thats when it happens ). I have replaced the carb,fuel pump & filter,and recent plugs,cap & rotor. The lady who sold me the car drove only 1600 miles per year. ( 40,000 original miles) After 15 minutes of 110 degree driving the car starts acting as if it is running out of gas, and then it finally stops altogether and will only start if I pour gas down the carb. After it cools down for a couple hours, it then starts and stays running, till it heats up again. If it is VAPORLOCK, how do you fix it?

Old 07-01-03, 11:51 PM
VAPORLOCK-77 LEBARON

Thankyou all for your replies,your experience and wisdom has given me what I need to start formulating a plan to fix the problem. the woman who owned the car before me had taken it to the same garage for 20 years and they never were able to figure out what the problem was.She most likely paid for a lot of unneeded repairs. Again, I thank you very much.