Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

chevy air conditioner

Visiting Guest

06-30-03, 09:43 PM   #1  
jhp
chevy air conditioner

I have a 92' chevy 1/2 ton pickup with a 8 cyl engine(350). I believe the air conditioner compressor is a Harrison. The compressor runs fine for awhile then cycles off and doesn't cycle back on. It will cycle on again if I tap the clutch with something or turn off the A/C for awhile, then turn A/C back to the on position.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-01-03, 03:11 AM   #2  
Joe_F
May have a stuck/shorted clutch. Have you checked it electrically?

LA

07-01-03, 07:43 AM   #3  
Could be overcharge or undercharge condition. Might want to put some guages on it to see whats happening inside.

07-01-03, 07:57 AM   #4  
I drove an 2000 Ford F-450 tow truck for 3 years and this happened to the A/C in it. The clutch plate in the compressor had worn enough so that the gap was too big for the coil to pull it, I think thats how it is. It was adjusted and worked great.

Visiting Guest

07-01-03, 09:10 AM   #5  
jhp
I checked the compressor electronically, everything is good here. The low side pressure is approximately 40 psig, and the high side is approximately 155 psig. If the clutch is worn how do you adjust it or does it need to be replaced?

07-01-03, 01:52 PM   #6  
The air gap on the R4 compressor is .02-.04 inches. It is measured between the clutch plate and clutch rotor. I am not sure if this model can be adjusted or needs to be repalced. If you do the job, you will need a few special tools from GM. I got this info from AllData.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-02-03, 12:01 AM   #7  
It can be adjusted, but not so easily. Small shim washers are used behind the clutch plate. Special tools are required to remove the clutch plate.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread