chevy air conditioner

Old 06-30-03, 09:43 PM
jhp
Visiting Guest
chevy air conditioner

I have a 92' chevy 1/2 ton pickup with a 8 cyl engine(350). I believe the air conditioner compressor is a Harrison. The compressor runs fine for awhile then cycles off and doesn't cycle back on. It will cycle on again if I tap the clutch with something or turn off the A/C for awhile, then turn A/C back to the on position.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-03, 03:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
May have a stuck/shorted clutch. Have you checked it electrically?

Old 07-01-03, 07:43 AM
Could be overcharge or undercharge condition. Might want to put some guages on it to see whats happening inside.

Old 07-01-03, 07:57 AM
I drove an 2000 Ford F-450 tow truck for 3 years and this happened to the A/C in it. The clutch plate in the compressor had worn enough so that the gap was too big for the coil to pull it, I think thats how it is. It was adjusted and worked great.

Old 07-01-03, 09:10 AM
jhp
Visiting Guest
I checked the compressor electronically, everything is good here. The low side pressure is approximately 40 psig, and the high side is approximately 155 psig. If the clutch is worn how do you adjust it or does it need to be replaced?

Old 07-01-03, 01:52 PM
The air gap on the R4 compressor is .02-.04 inches. It is measured between the clutch plate and clutch rotor. I am not sure if this model can be adjusted or needs to be repalced. If you do the job, you will need a few special tools from GM. I got this info from AllData.

Old 07-02-03, 12:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It can be adjusted, but not so easily. Small shim washers are used behind the clutch plate. Special tools are required to remove the clutch plate.