transmission problems......I think

Old 07-01-03, 06:44 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
transmission problems......I think

ok guys, remember when I was agreeing if it aint broke dont fix it about my transmission? I think it's time to fix it. 64 belair, 283 v8 automatic transmission. I can floor it with it in gear and it just coasts along. transmission fluid is full, never had any problems in the past. This is the first time i've actually driven it in the last year. was moving it around in the driveway yesterday, and it worked alright, tried to do it today and had big problems.

another question, while we're at it. on a rochester 2 barrel carb, with idle mixture screws, passenger side fuel and driver's side is air, correct?

thx for any help. if it could be any problem other than the transmission, please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-03, 06:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mileage on it? Remember, it's only a 2 speed more than likely .

Old 07-01-03, 06:57 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
190,400 miles on it. yes, a 2 speed. remember, this is the original transmission, and as far as I know never been rebuilt, or even repaired. think it's time to take it to a shop? if I have my idle speed turned down too low, could that cause this problem of it just coasting rather than moving like it should? I need to play with my idle speed and idle mixture some...... any clue on the idle mixture screws. or where I could find out? doesnt specify in the manual.

Old 07-01-03, 07:29 AM
bb

Both screws control fuel.The tranny is probably toast.Can I see a pic of your car?

Old 07-01-03, 07:32 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
ok, so bottom line, if mixture is too rich, tighten em both up a little? and have the tranny rebuilt? what kind of price range does that run, any clue?

thx davo, I was under the impression one was air one was fuel, a friend told me that, but I wanted to double check with you guys cause ur pros

Old 07-01-03, 08:10 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
hehehe, was lookin under the hood playing with idle speed and stuff and realized both battery cables and distributor cap got wet during the rain, is it possible that these 2 factors could be causing such a rough idle and the car to run/move so poorly? in other words, when ur distributor cap gets wet, can it give it these symptoms where u hit the gas and it dies, wont idle at all, or will barely move? thought it was weird to be the transmission cause last time i drove it it worked so well. any info is appreciated. Also, I found a wiring diagram for my vehicle, is $30 too much on a diagram of such age?

Old 07-01-03, 09:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
30 bucks for a full shop manual is about average. Make sure it is a GM shop manual. Get an original. If it's a reprint, it won't include the wiring diagrams you're likely to need. Visit any automotive swap meet or car show selling parts, you're likely to find it there. I've gotten stuff for 1/10 of the price new at swapmeets.

Ebay is a good place for books and whatnot.

Yes, if the cap got wet and it had a crack in it, sure the engine would run like crap. Has it been tuned up since you got this car? If not a tuneup is a good idea.

Powerglide two speeds have LONG gears! It seems like forever before they shift .

Old 07-03-03, 12:17 PM
bgnrf
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Dear BelairBoy, i am having the same problem with my car right now. I hit 35 mph and the tranny will not shift up. There is a problem with your govenor in your transmission, it will cost me $800 to have it fixed.

P.S Someone told me to put C foam into it!

Old 07-03-03, 12:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depending on the vehicle a bad vacuum modulator (if so equipped) will cause a late/no upshift condition. It's a couple of bucks at any parts store and is easy to change. Make sure the vacuum hose going to the modulator is not cracked.