fuel pump fuse or relay

Old 07-01-03, 01:55 PM
fuel pump fuse or relay

I have a 1988 chrysler New Yorker. On morning it wouldn't start. I have checked for spark and it's fine can anyone tell me were the fuel pump relay and or the fuse for this vehile is thanks in advance Harold

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-03, 04:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No engine size, so we're throwing darts at the problem.

No spark on a Chrysler=bad pick up plate in the distributor. Start there, likely cause.

Old 07-01-03, 04:45 PM
Sorry about that .....it's a 3.0 l I do have spack at the plugs ...but can't hear the fuel pump run when you fist turn the key on. I've looked in the obvious places and can't seem to locate the relay. Thier are some on the firewall , but I'm not sure whitch one it is nothing is marked and I don't have the orignal manuel

Old 07-01-03, 06:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's sometimes called "ASD" on Chrysler (Auto Shut Down).

Easier way: If you think it's a fuel problem, pull the connector off the back at the pump. Put a test light there. See if you have power at the wires when someone cranks the key.

If so, the pump is likely finished. Happened on my friend's 1991 Shadow. The original pump did last 160k though. LOL.

Old 07-01-03, 09:45 PM
Visiting Guest
even with a wiring diagram, i have trouble following the power flow to the pump as it goes through the ASD and fuel pump relays. cut to the chase, you need to have power AND ground at the fuel pump connector, easier than that is to bang on the bottom center of fuel tank while someone cranks it(with e-brake ON) it's the same principal as hitting a starter with a hammer(worn brushes in the motor). first make sure it won't start, crank for like 5 seconds, the let it rip with a big rubber mallet, 2X4, anything heavy around you until the pump is jarred enough to spin up, if it does, time for a pump, if not---write back here, let us know. good spark means distributor pick-up plate is good,(3.0L means pick-up plate is good too) some early cars have a fuel pump fuse inside the car, under the steering column. do you know if you have a K-body, an A-body or a C-body new yorker

Search this Thread