AC Service ports on 1997 MB C280

Old 07-02-03, 07:20 AM
AC Service ports on 1997 MB C280

Hi all,

A friend of mine needs the AC recharged on his '97 Mercedes C230. I've located one port (high pressure, I think) between the condenser and the drier, but I can't seem to locate the other one. I know if I follow the lines around enough I can probably find it, but I'm doing this in the parking lot at work and can't really get under it or get too dirty looking for it. When I try following the lines from the compressor, I can't seem to find another fitting. If anyone can point me to the general area of the service ports I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-03, 07:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
From what Alldata shows, they both appear to be on the condenser area (one of them) and the other around the left headlight area. Look closely, the caps are a little weird shaped, so you might be missing them.

Alldata gives a nice photo of the ports/locations, but I can't print it---network problems .

I ASSUME you have corrected any and all refrigerant leaks though, right?

Old 07-02-03, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Joe_F
From what Alldata shows, they both appear to be on the condenser area (one of them) and the other around the left headlight area. Look closely, the caps are a little weird shaped, so you might be missing them.

Alldata gives a nice photo of the ports/locations, but I can't print it---network problems .

I ASSUME you have corrected any and all refrigerant leaks though, right?
Thanks, Joe. It's way down on refrigerant so the compressor won't run. I need to get enough refrigerant in it so I can find the leak. Need to find the ports to do that.

I must be overlooking the one by the headlight - I'll look a little closer at it tomorrow. That makes sense because the drier is behind the LH headlamp - I just need to follow the lines off of it.

Thanks again,
Jim

Old 07-03-03, 09:25 AM
Okay - it turns out the EZ one is the low pressure one. I still can't find the high pressure one. The low pressure fitting is on a line as it exits the compressor. I followed the other line into the condenser and back out, but still can't find a port.

Technically, I can charge it without hooking up the high pressure side, but I can't get the compressor to run either. I found the pressure switch on the drier, it has 3 wires. Not sure which 3 I should hook together. There's also a 2-wire plug on the drier but I think it's a high pressure cut-out.

Any more hints Joe?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 07-03-03, 11:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'd have to get to the Alldata screen I had yesterday to see it. Can't print though, still having problems here. It has the diagram you probably need.

Look VERY closely, according to Alldata, they both should be up front near the radiator/front of the engine.

In lieu of that, call the dealer, they will probably tell you .

Old 07-03-03, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Joe_F
I'd have to get to the Alldata screen I had yesterday to see it. Can't print though, still having problems here. It has the diagram you probably need.

Look VERY closely, according to Alldata, they both should be up front near the radiator/front of the engine.

In lieu of that, call the dealer, they will probably tell you .
Okay thanks.

I'll probably be able to see it from underneath - both condenser lines are at the bottom. Just didn't want to lay on the ground in the parking lot in my "good" clothes.

Jim

Old 07-03-03, 12:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Easiest way:

Call up the parts department of the local Benz dealer and have them fax you the exploded view of the lines and A/C system. It will show which lines have the ports.

Done .

Old 03-31-12, 05:40 PM
1997 Mercedes C280 AC Low Pressure side port location

There are 2 ports. High and low. You want the low port. It's on the driver's side of the engine compartment. It has a black cap. It looks just like the cap for the high pressure side which is located next to the driver's side headlight behind the grill. But don't use the high side. The can adapter won't fit anyway but it will fit on the low side. Turn on the car and ac to high, connect the can and empty the contents.