Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing catalytic converters

KS

07-02-03, 07:40 AM   #1  
cats off?

I would like to take the cats off my 94 ford f150 inline six. It's not as easy as it sounds. I have 2 pipes going into the first one. How can I get a staight 2 1/2" Pipe from the muffler onto these two (looks like 2") Pipes? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 07:45 AM   #2  
Joe_F
This is illegal to do and can net you both a failing inspection report and a fine.

Find the cause of the problem (a poor running engine), correct it, and replace the defective catalyst.

KS

07-02-03, 08:12 AM   #3  
Thats what I thought I would get for an answer. No emissions where I live so not exactly illegal. The engine runs fine.

07-02-03, 08:57 AM   #4  
Jegs performance parts sells many cool exhaust pieces to help your ideas get going. They sell a cool "Y" pipe that might help.

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 09:08 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Thats what I thought I would get for an answer. No emissions where I live so not exactly illegal. The engine runs fine.

----

If it runs fine why are you removing the catalyst? You get ZERO benefit by removing it. It will NOT add to the "performance" of the vehicle.

You got the answer you got because it is the correct answer. You are violating both federal and state laws by removing them.

It IS illegal. And, emission laws are 'a comin to your town one of these days. That's if your county or state wants federal money for enviornmental programs.

Hint: Most want these funds . Fix the vehicle correctly.

KS

07-02-03, 09:21 AM   #6  
O.K. Joe, I believe you. Why do a lot of people tell me it will boost some horse power if I take them off? I guess its divided some people do and some don't. I'll listen to you because I've read your posts and you know what your talking about.

KS

07-02-03, 09:27 AM   #7  
Ok joe, one more thing. There are 2 cats on this truck. What about eliminating the second one?

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 09:52 AM   #8  
redneck
If you got a buddy with a mig welder, anything can happen--most muffler shops will not touch it. Some will if you bring it in with the cats off--no shop will remove the cats for you! If you want more flow cut off the muffler and just run the cats--modern cats flow better than mufflers--and they are not really that loud without mufflers. Course an inline six may not give you the sweet note of a free flowing V8!

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 10:06 AM   #9  
Joe_F
As Redneck said.

Fact: Removing converters is illegal and has no benefit at all.

Fact: A high performance cat WILL improve the performance of the vehicle and keep you legal.

Fact: Souping up a straight six Ford like this can be done, but is a waste of time and money.

Again, I'll ask the question, why are you removing the converters?

07-02-03, 10:48 AM   #10  
The reason people get a gain in power form removing the cat is that the cat is likely plugged and by removing it they free up the exhaust. By freeing up the exhaust, you get your power back. Another thing, it is proven that the louder the exhaust, the mo power you get, DUH!!! If you want it legal, put on high flow cats in the original locations and a high quality cat-back exhaust. If you want it to sound good and breath great, cut it all out and install a header, 2 1/2 inch pipe and a Flowmaster muffler.

Don't listen to the "6 cyl are worthless" junk. Inline 6's are great. They have great torque and get better gas mileage than the 8 cyl.

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 11:13 AM   #11  
Joe_F
The reason people get a gain in power form removing the cat is that the cat is likely plugged and by removing it they free up the exhaust
---
What I have been saying all along.....

Precisely---if you need to remove the cat, you DO have a problem. That means the engine runs poorly.

High emissions=poor running engine. Most causes are simple maintenance or repair.

A good running engine performs as good if not better with a cat.

You have 400+ horsepower engines running emission legal with cats, so there goes that "no cat, better performance" theory right out the window.

It has also been proven that without a catalytic converter, there can be more turbulence in the pipes, which will actually DECREASE your performance .

Removing converters on vehicles is complete ignorance, nothing else.

Again, the converters are factored into the original design. They belong there. You'll gain nothing but making a mess out of your exhaust by cutting and welding them out.

Not to mention it's going to cost you bucks when (not if) you have to put them back.

As for 6 versus 8, you will find tons more parts for V8s than you will 6's. Can it be done? Sure. But you'll be staring at V8 taillights the entire time while that guy has more money in his wallet

07-02-03, 11:17 AM   #12  
Blaze, where did you get that "the louder it is the mo power you get"? Hate to disagree with you on that. They tune exhaust systems for a reason, and that is to get more power not necessarly louder. The only way to tune an ehaust system is on a dyno.

07-02-03, 12:02 PM   #13  
I was an @#$^ing joke. Ya'll ever think that he might not want to race the damn thing, but just make it sound good to himself. What is wrong with a little improvement to something you already own and enjoy.

coops28, why do you want to do this? To piss off the neighbors or to make it run better?

Proud owner of an 89 Suburban with headers, 2 1/2 inch duals, dual 50 series Flowmasters and BIG SHINNY tips.

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 01:25 PM   #14  
Joe_F
If that were the case....

As I always note in my "The Basics".

NO DETAIL TOO SMALL

07-02-03, 01:40 PM   #15  
Just as a note removing catalytic converters is illegal in the entire United States whether you have local emission laws or not.Unless the vehicle is for off road use only.The government is fairly serious about this, that is why my rototiller has a converter on it.

07-02-03, 01:59 PM   #16  
Hope that tiller has a high flow cat on there, don't want it boggin down on ya. Heeeeeeere gopher gopher gopher.

07-02-03, 08:28 PM   #17  
even though you may not have emissions testing you probably do have to have a safety inspection and i think you will find if you check the law in your state that if the convertor has been removed and replaced with regular pipe it will not pass even a safety inspection.

KS

07-03-03, 06:52 AM   #18  
Wow, I didn't know a simple question would insite a riot. Yeah, yeah I know its not a simple question. Haven't any of you done anything against the rules? It's illegal to speed but I bet you do it. Lighten up everybody!!! Except 89 Blaze, He knows what I'm talking about. Oh yeah!

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 06:59 AM   #19  
Joe_F
No, sorry, I don't violate federal laws. I also refuse to be ignorant .

Those of us who "understand" simply know what you're trying to accomplish is not only illegal, it's foolish and a waste of time .

All you'll succeed in doing is polluting the air, ruining your truck and hacking your exhaust, so why are you doing it? What's the real purpose?

Can't be for looks.
Can't be for "solving the problem" because it's masking the real problem---a poor running engine.
Can't be for "performance" because it's been proven that removing the cat gains you nothing.
Can't be for sound, unless you like your vehicle sound like a whale on crack. LOL .

Again, it's illegal, it gives you ZERO benefit, and you're contributing to polluting the air, so tell us why are you doing it?

As for doing anything illegal, whattya say we set up a landfill in your backyard or I set up an illegal spray booth next door to ya.

Think about it. Those of us who "understand" already do .

KS

07-03-03, 07:08 AM   #20  
No use fighting about it. You obviously know your way around a car and I see from your profile you're a stuffy company man, who, works for better emissions. Of course you will never do anything against the rules or against the environment. I also see you have some classic cars. Do you put cats on them to make you feel better?

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 07:24 AM   #21  
Joe_F
You're right, because there is no argument. I'm right .

Actually, I'm just in the know and more intelligent, as are most of the folks that understand automobiles and emissions on this board. If that makes me 'stuffy', so be it. Better than ignorant .

When you're on the plane with the rest of us, let's chat. Until then, sit back and listen champ.

Yup, my cars meet and beat the state inspection standards and are as OEM equipped. I even put the small vacuum regulator distributor check valve on my 1979 Trans Am which was missing when I bought it. Most people eliminate it. I have a load of NOS OEM ones and I put them on there. It's there to slow the retard of the timing when you decelerate. Following me thus far?

Most people eliminate it, as 1978 didn't have it, 1979 did. Again, out of ignorance of what it does it's eliminated. Newsflash: It HELPS performance.

In fact, my 1980 Trans Am Turbo Trans Am runs consisently under 35 ppm HC and .5 CO and has since 1980. The limits are easily triple that. It's never approached half of those limits since 1980. All that with bone stock original emission equipment as factory.

In short, it puts out standing idle tailpipe emissions that rival a 2003 vehicle.

My 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with 144k on it flies through the NYS dyno test with ease---even with the state tightening the limits 40% in the last year. The guy that does my inspections couldn't believe that the 1998 Grand Am in front of me last year failed twice and my old horse zipped through on try #1 and was even lower emission wise than the year before. .

Wouldn't it suck for you to eliminate all of the emission controls, waste your time, ruin your truck and still have a four cylinder car with all its emissions intact wipe the floor with your "performance" truck?

Newsflash: It will.

When you stop being ignorant and listen to the facts, things will become clear to you. Are you up to the challenge?

The forum awaits your answer.

KS

07-03-03, 07:37 AM   #22  
I already told you twice you are correct and sure I am ignorant about my exaust system. I am not, however, less intelligent than you. Also I don't want a high performance truck. I just wanted it to sound better and I thought it would boost a couple of h.p.s. Now I know better. Enough said.

My Dad had a 79 tenth aniversary Trans Am when I was a kid. He bought it brand new for 10 grand. That car rocked. It was silver, t-tops, big eagle on the hood. I got to drive it twice. I still remember the power. Good times.

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 07:45 AM   #23  
Joe_F
Good for you. Now you understand. Removing the converter is a waste of time, don't do it.

Lesson learned on your end. Post closed.

Yup, 10ths rock. .

Search this Thread