Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

first truck

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 01:43 PM   #1  
bowlingpro250
first truck

hello guys,
Iam woundering are the mid 70's to very late 80's Ford or Cheve trucks reliable? Do they cost alot to run? Do they rais insurence costs? I know there is a big debate on who is better Ford Or Cheve but I want just the facts or the pro and cons if you can. With in the next few weeks Iam geting my permit and Iam hopeing on geting an American made truck perfer the pre computers eara. Can you give me any other good companys like Dodge mabe? This will be my first car and I want a good one, one I can keep for a long time and fix it up over time.Iam hopeing on spending around $1000 for one. Thank you very much Matt

Sponsored Links

07-02-03, 02:05 PM   #2  
All trucks use a ton of fuel,starting in 1981, trucks a little later ,computers arrived on the scene,and I live near Pittsburgh Pa and would be lucky to buy a truck bed for $1000.So Matt I wish you luck and will be here to help if needed.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 02:08 PM   #3  
Matt, fyi, the 68-72 Chevy truck was one of the most widely sold frame/body styles ever. They are very easy to maintain and very easy to gt replacement parts for at just about any car swap meet.

*Owns a '70 Chevy c/10

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 02:09 PM   #4  
BelairBoy
alright bud. Here's my 2 cents.

being from a family with more than 3 people retiring from ford, I am obligated to state that ford trucks are the finest peices of equipment. By personal opinion, I prefer a chevy. for some reason It's been my experience(which is minimal) that chevy trucks have generally less problems. They arent very expensive to keep up provided that they have been taken care of. They do eat more gas than newer vehicles though. The best part about pre-computer cars is you dont have to deal with code readers and scanners. You can basically fix everything yourself, and dont ever have to take it to the mechanic unless its A/C or Transmission. Go with a chevy(I'm so ashamed to say that, my grandfather would be spinning in his grave)

good luck

07-02-03, 02:19 PM   #5  
Nothing wrong with Ford or Chevy, but I have a 1984 Dodge D150 with a 318 engine automatic. I love it, it runs great and if anything ever went wrong with it I have fixed it and I am just a average backyard mechanic. I have only had a few things go wrong and they have been simple fixes, nothing major. I bought the truck 9 years ago with 99,000 miles on it for $1800 and it has a 175,000 on it now and still runs great. So while looking around see if you can find a Dodge with a 318. Just my thoughts. Steve

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 03:14 PM   #6  
Joe_F
All posters are correct. Any of the big three is OK. You get what you pay for though. 1000 bucks might net you a rotbox or a fixup special depending on the popularity of trucks in your area.

Parts for most pickups are cheap and easy to find. They are also handy items to have and most of the time are simpler mechanically and emission wise than cars of that same era. As Davo alluded to, computers came a little later on trucks than passenger cars (depending on the vehicle, engine, emission equipment, etc).

You'd be fine with anything from GM, Ford or Chrysler. My personal preference is to buy vehicles from GM. They aren't the world's largest carmaker (and industrial corporation, or among them) for nothing .

07-02-03, 06:50 PM   #7  
While you're checking around for a good dependable truck, check around for a good dependable auto shop. When you find the truck you want, take it to them, pay the money to get it completely checked out.. Pull tires, check brakes, front end parts, scope the engine, a gas analyser, all fluid levels and conditions, all lights, note any and all leaks..It's worth the money to get it done on any used car/truck you're going to buy.. Might give you some "ammo" to get a drop in price also...

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 03:39 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Absolutely 100% correct.

Offer to split the cost of inspection with the owner as a bargaining tool, if he/she refuses, the truck is a heap with hidden problems and pass on it.

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 08:00 AM   #9  
BelairBoy
it's definitely a good idea to have it checked out by a mech. Also, I can't remember which one it is, but there is a website that if you type in the VIN number, it will give you a history of the vehicle, number of owners, past crashes etc. remember, it's easy to do the body work and leave the frame bent, then just sell it off.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 06:34 PM   #10  
Good call msargent.

Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 11:17 AM   #11  
morlock
my parents have a 73 3/4 silverado 4x4 and I love that truck, very reliable and dependable doesnt eat that much gas, only problem we've been having is the starter but thats because the company keeps sending us ones that are geared wrong but they replace it for us about ever 3/4 months before we started having that problem it ran perfect for us, after they get us one that is geared right, we shouldnt have a problem either. My gf also has a 78 F250 4x4 with a 460. Oh I LOVE to drive that truck, so powerful, so BIG, nothing wrong with it aside from an uncalibrated speedometer (has a major facelift to it, 9" lift and 38" super swampers kinda changes your speedometer a bit.) and a leaking fuel line, but that's just because when it was put together they used the original fuel lines that were on there instead of putting new ones on. I love that truck tho. I used to be a chevy person until she got her truck and I got my Mustang, Now I'm a ford man. So I'll say go for the ford. Also the 78 eats more gas just for the fact that it has a hipo built up 460 and the chevy has a stock 454.

Search this Thread