Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

"rodent bites"

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 10:09 PM   #1  
shmoogity
"rodent bites"

I brought my Chevy 95 Suburban into the dealership two months ago for some problem and they asked if I wanted their "special" which consisted of an "AC tune-up." No sooner did I leave the shop than the AC didn't work, when it worked FINE in the first place. I just took it in again today because I couldn't stand it anymore and they say there are signs of rodent bites on a hose which is causing the freon to leak, and that I need a new compressor...they could do this for, oh, $1100, they say. I hate how they ripped me off, but is there a way I can do the fix-it part myself. Should I buy a new compressor and install it on my own, along with new hoses?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 12:00 AM   #2  
BelairBoy
that all depends on how experienced you are, and if you have the proper tools. In this case a manual is not enough. A/C repair can be very dangerous work and permanantly blind you if you aren't careful. If they "tuned up" you A/C, they should've caught the problem when they did that. Inquire as to why they never said anything before. Rodent bites is not a complete pile of bull though. My parents had a vehicle that we took to the mechanics and they said a mouse was chewing on hoses. We said BS and left. A couple weeks later we were changing the headlights and sure enough there was a mouse's nest back in there. Be careful if you do the A/C stuff yourself, I don't personally know how to do it, but am aware of the fact that it can be extremely dangerous for a newbie.

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 03:28 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Back to the dealership. Ask them why the system wasn't checked when you had their "special". If it stopped working IMMEDIATELY after you left there, chances are they missed the hose damage.

I'd ask the dealership to work with you on the price and get it straightened out. See the dealership manager and complain. If that gets you no where, then call GM.

Tell the dealer/GM that you had the vehicle serviced on their recommendation and right after that it didn't work. How was it not caught, etc...

VA

07-03-03, 03:29 AM   #4  
shmoogity,
I doubt the 'critter' bit your compressor to death. If you don't want to tackle the job, find a mechanic to replace your hose first,
and fill with freon to see if the system works okay. Quite a bit cheaper, if the comp. is ok.

Last year I had a squirrel chew through my 4 yr old gas grill line.
Sears wanted 80 bucks plus shipping for the new part. I went upstairs and bought a new grill!. And I took care of the squirrels too, thanks to Mr. Browning. Oh, I live out in the stix!!

good luck,
fred

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 03:46 AM   #5  
Joe_F
LOL:

Fred, you know that Sears only takes the vendor part and marks it up ! Your grille was probably a Sunbeam depending on model. I can't see Sunbeam charging 80 bucks for a hose. LOL.

I almost NEVER order parts through Sears for anything I own of theirs. I find their source and order from them (110-Whirlpool, 919-DeVilbiss, etc).

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 05:24 AM   #6  
darrell McCoy
I must be missing something here. Dont understand what hose has to do with compressor for 1, and #2,1100 is about 400 more than I would pay for a new compressor and installation. Just had a dealer installed "new" comp in a 96 GMC. 500 plus labor and a dab of r134. 12 mon or 12000 warranty. Hmmmm, Maybe vasoline is higher than I thought. I'd see if there is oil residue on the portion of the hose, if so replace it and have system charged and check compressor with leak detector. I know GM has had problems with compressors leaking on the center seal.
I'd hit the dealer and have a serious "talk" with someone there who is in authority.

VA

07-03-03, 07:18 PM   #7  
darrell,
I just made a correlation re critters biting through 'things' - that's all.

shmoogity,
I agree with darrell, and already said, replace the hose, fill it up and give the comp a check. As info, neither my 89 BIG Blazer(son now owns) nor my 98 ext Z71 has ever been back to the dealer. I know better mechanics, at a cheaper price too!!

Joe,
the grill hose also included the orifice and control valve - all one piece. But the old grill needed replaced anyway.
I understand what you say about their parts though.

fred

Search this Thread