Running Boards attachment points?

Old 07-03-03, 03:00 PM
wood duck
Visiting Guest
Running Boards attachment points?

I bought a Westin brand running board for my Toyota Tacoma. The attachments for the brackets are on the rocker panel. There are 4 brackets per side with a single bolt per bracket attaching it to the rocker panel. Holes must be drilled in the panel for the bolts. It sure does not seem as if this is a good attachment point. One I don't like drilling into the panel because of rust potential also it seems that eventually the panels may bend under. The running boards on my previous Toyota attached to a bracket behind the rocker panels in already drilled holes. Others I have seen attach to the vehicle frame. The place where I bought them insists they will be fine and that most rnning boards and steps attach to the rocker panels these days. That may be the way most are attached these days but that does not mean it is a good way of doing it. Seems like a cheap way to me. What do others think? Anyone had problems with theirs?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-03, 03:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

I'm with your initial thoughts. Hokey and cheap to me. After all, what's going to support the weight of anyone stepping on it? Not the rocker panel! LOL

Return them and see how the Toyota authorized accessory set is mounted. I'm sure Toyota has a kit for this truck.

Best bet.

Old 07-03-03, 03:33 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Some outfits will try to sell you anything to make a buck. I wouldnt care for the setup you described. Check around, may cost a few bucks more but those need to be sturdy and the rocker panel wont get it.

Old 07-04-03, 04:49 AM
I have to set lifts around these things all the time..Seems the good ones are mounted on HEAVY angle iron, welded to the frame... I agree with the others..Shop around for a better set up!
Got any Off Road shops near you? I'll bet they have something and can install it also!

Old 07-08-03, 06:28 PM
wood duck
Visiting Guest
I contacted Toyota and they said not to attach to the rocker panels.
I returned the ones I bought and they disagreed with my assesment that it was a cheap attachment point. They said all of the new Fords running board/tube steps attach that way. I told them that even Toyota said it was a bad idea. They said "it doesn't surprise me Toyota would say that". I thought of asking her what exactly she meant by that but I just wanted my money back. Oh yeah. They also charged me a 10% restocking fee. They will not be getting my business again! Ends up I found ones for $60 less that will work. Ends up the majority of running boards and tube steps do attach to the rocker panels. Looks like that is the trend.

Old 07-09-03, 03:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya did the right thing . I would call my credit card company and have them get involved to reverse the 10% handling charge---that's bunk. It goes right back on the shelf to sell to the next guy .

Old 07-09-03, 04:32 AM
wood duck
Visiting Guest
Actually they told me they do not give refunds if paid by credit card. Ends up I had paid by check.

Old 07-09-03, 05:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What they say and what the law are, two different things.

When I've had a problem with an outfit in the past, I have tried to resolve it with the merchant. If you try in good faith, and get nowhere, call the credit card company.

I've had charged reversed in my favor by getting the credit card company involved. That is one of the reasons why I use it.

It's a powerful tool if you use it correctly, and wisely (never carry a balance, I don't ).