87 Chev Celebrity 2.8MFI stalling

Old 07-03-03, 04:58 PM
rinzana
Visiting Guest
87 Chev Celebrity 2.8MFI stalling

Hello,
My 1987 Chevrolet Celebrity with a 2.8L Multi Port Fuel Injection is idling very rough and often stalls at idle. The idle speed keeps jumping up and down almost every second. Like it is having trouble running. It is also worse after it has run for a few minutes. Also the 'service engine soon' light comes on after driving for about 20 minutes of highway driving. I can keep the car running by keeping my foot on the accellerator pedal, so it is idling at a higher speed.
I really don't have one of those diagnostic computer tools, but am pretty sure it has something do with the fuel system. Problem is where do I start? The Oxygen sensor, the Throttle Poistion Sensor or the Idle Air Valve? Mybe even the feul filter. Or am I completely off the mark?
My mechanic claims that he cleaned the O2 sensor not too long ago, but I can't find any info on the net on how to clean this part.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-03, 06:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya don't clean an O2 sensor, ya replace it .

Use the links and posts in my signature file below to pull the trouble codes. Tell us what you find.

Old 07-03-03, 06:18 PM
You'll see in many different messages around here about going to Autozone, and having them scan the computer system. Write down what codes they tell you they find. Let us know what those are. This will give us a good starting point to help you out..

Old 07-03-03, 06:29 PM
rinzana
Visiting Guest
What is a scan tool?

I have never heard of one of these. I do already have a chiltons manual. That is where is got the idea about the Fuel problem.
Thanks
Rich

Old 07-03-03, 06:32 PM
rinzana
Visiting Guest
Does Autozone do this for free?

That would be a big help, I would just have to find an autozone.

Old 07-03-03, 06:42 PM
rinzana
Visiting Guest
Cool you guys are awesome!!

There is an Autozone not far from where I live. Now if I can only find those parts for my 1929 Modem A fordor I'll be is good shape.
I'll let you know what Autozone has to say.

Old 07-04-03, 04:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

A scan tool is a mini computer hooked up to the car which allows the technician to "talk" to the computer of the car and see what is going on inside of it. It allows you to see what the sensors are doing, what fault codes are stored and so forth.

A code reader just returns fault codes and lacks the other diagnostic capability that a scan tool has. Autozone will likely use a code reader on your vehicle.

You can also retrieve the trouble codes with a paper clip and by counting the flashes of the check engine light. See www.batauto.com for more information if you cannot get to Autozone.

Old 07-18-13, 01:32 PM
Carburator cleaner spray disolves carbon build up on O2 sensor.

Old 07-18-13, 01:39 PM
My 89 Pontiac 6000 LE 2.8L is doing the same thing, after I replaced all fuel injectors (GM Multec injector's bad design, coil shorting) which stopped the sudden stalls. Now throws code 44, lean fuel on idle. I suspect it may be a dirty EGR or sticky IAC valve.