Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sunbird wierd radiator noises

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 05:16 PM   #1  
cerino2000
Sunbird wierd radiator noises

OK, i have a 94 sunbird with a 4cyl. It had a hole in the filler neck. I repaired the hole and all seems well. The system acts like it is boiling even at low temperatures. It has yet to go over 180 degrees and the cooling pattern is the same wheter or not the thermostat is in or not. There is no water in the oil and I don't think there is oil in the water. Even at only 150 degrees when I am stopped at a light I can here the radiator sounding like it is boiling inside. Naturally sitting in traffic raises the temperature but the fan will come on and keep it under control. If I shut it off at 180 degrees, when I come back to it like 5 mins later the temperature will be at like near redline and will instantly cool within 30 secs of starting once the flow gets going again. The temperature varies semi heavily in traffic but maintains cool on the highway. Any ideas on what to look for or what causes the radiator to sound like this even when it is relatively cool? Thanks. All help appreciated.

Rick

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 06:01 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Have you checked for any leaks? Might be antifreeze dripping on something hot and sizzling.

07-03-03, 06:31 PM   #3  
To have a car at normal operating temp, shut it off for a few minutes, then re-start it, and have the guage read high is pretty normal, as long is it does come down within a very short period of time (30-60 seconds or so..)
As for the noise, sounds like it may not be completely full, or possibly a bad radiator cap...180 degrees is not a bad temp for your average car.. Most thermostats range 180-190 degress..And I'd definately leave it in...Many car's won't run correctly without it in there to properly maintain the engines temp...

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 06:36 PM   #4  
darrell McCoy
low coolant level/maybe air locked.

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 07:30 PM   #5  
cerino2000
Ya, it acts like there may be air. Made me wonder if it had a compression leak or something after reading about that but there is no water in oil or oil in water and the car appears to be running fine. I thought about the air in the system somewhere but wouldn't it have purged it out by now or something? I am also wondering if it needs to be flushed out or something. Almost like it is clogged and once the pressure is up enough it forces its way through the blockage. I don't know, just grasping for straws. Thanks.

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 09:05 PM   #6  
Quick
Re: Sunbird wierd radiator noises

I'd wager that either the hole in the filler tube was not completely sealed or there is another "hole" somewhere. A coolant system that does not pressurize will act as you've described. Coolant/water will boil at lower temps if not pressurized.

Performing a pressure test on the cooling system (easy to do) to see if there are any leaks would be my advice.

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 09:13 PM   #7  
cerino2000
Well, I checked on it several times today and saw no leaks anywhere nor did I hear any hissing to indicate any leaks. i did pull the cap today (these things are wierd, to pull the actual radiator cap you have to remove several pain in the a$$ items like the battery, intake tubes etc) and it did have a rusty tint to it. i am going to try a flush of the system tomorrow and see if that helps any. I think that when you flush the system if there are any hidden leaks being held together by rust, they will become more evident. We'll see.

Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 12:21 PM   #8  
cerino2000
Well quick, you were right. The pinhole was sealed just fine. However, when I welded it, I used the dremel to grind down the bead. When i did that, I inadvertantly ground down the ridge on the top of the inlet, used for the cap to seal. I happened to flush it yesterday with a ten minute flush. As I sat and watched it waiting for the ten minutes to pass, I was shocked as i saw fluid dripping over the edge under the cap. Soooo...the dealership wanted $140 for that housing. I went to a redneck junkyard and found one that worked....$5.00. problem solved. Thanks for all the help.

Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 03:11 PM   #9  
Quick
Good to hear. Can't beat that price either. (-;

Search this Thread