Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine oil quantity

07-04-03, 08:33 PM   #1  
engine oil quantity

I am driving a 1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4 p/u, in which I have replaced the original 2.8L engine, with a 305, carbuerated Chevy engine. Due to front driveshaft rotation problems, I have just installed a remote oil filter setup next to the radiator. This has allowed me to use an oil filter which is twice the size of the stubby model, I was forced to use before. In order to be able to install the remote oil filter setup where I wanted to put it, it was necessary for me to use, two 4 foot sections of 1/2 inch (inside diameter) oil line rubber hose, running from the oil filter adapter to the remote unit. My question is: " Is there any formula I can use or method of calculating to determine how much additional oil I will need to add to the engine, in order to maintain the normal operating oil pressures"
I realize that I could use the guess & gosh method, but this whole process has proven to be a helluva lot of guessin & goshin !!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 03:53 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Not really. A normal 305 takes 5 quarts. I'd say another 1 to 1 1/2 quarts extra with the remote filter setup. You might ask the company that sold it to you how many extra quarts it requires.

Search this Thread