Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Taurus transmission filter mystery

Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 07:35 AM   #1  
techtim
Taurus transmission filter mystery

I am trying to change the transmission filter on my 95 Ford Taurus, 3.0 V6. I have changed many filters before, just not on this car. It has 86K miles. This is the second filter change. The first was performed at 45K by the dealer.

The problem is that it does not use the standard filter due to having a heavy duty transmission. It has an AX4N, while the majority of V6's have the AXOD. I think this is because this was a rental car for Hertz before I bought it.

There are 3 filter kits available - http://www.spxfiltran.com/Bulletins/...n/PDFs/091.pdf including 2 specifically for the AX4N. I have tried all 3, but the problem is that the seal is different from the 3 listed. The seals that come on new filters measure 0.075" thick and have a ribbed texture. The existing seal measures 0.035" and has a smooth texture. The new filter doesn't even begin to insert into the machined opening on the transmission. I have cleaned all old seal material from the machined opening. The filter itself and the gasket are correct, just not the seal.

I have tried every parts store in town. The only thing left is to try a Ford dealer Monday.

Thanks for any help!!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 09:30 AM   #2  
fuller911
Is it a SHO?

Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 10:10 AM   #3  
techtim
Originally posted by fuller911
Is it a SHO?
No, it's just a regular GL. But as I mentioned, it does not have the usual transmission found on the GL. It has an AX4N, which are found on SHO's and Lincoln Continentals. I looked at the filter kits for those with no luck.

Tim

Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 12:19 PM   #4  
Joe_F
The tranny MAY have been replaced somewhere down the line on the vehicle.

Have you looked at Motorcraft's website? www.motorcraft.com

Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 12:39 PM   #5  
fuller911
I did some looking on a SHO website and the part number for the seal (which they say is orange) is : F4DZ-7Z302-A. Cost like $10 - $12 bucks at the dealer.

Here's a link dealing with trouble for transmission seal issues:

http://www.shoforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...=006209#000000

Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 01:55 PM   #6  
techtim
Originally posted by fuller911
Here's a link dealing with trouble for transmission seal issues:

http://www.shoforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...=006209#000000

OH - MY - GOSH!!!!!!!!!

That link was perfect! That guy had the exact same problem I did.

Half of the seal was still in the tranny. The seal has a thin aluminum sleeve in the center surrounded by rubber on the inside (filter side) and outside (tranny side). The aluminum sleeve and outer rubber stayed in the transmission. The aluminum sleeve looked like it was part of the tranny. I carefully worked it out just minutes ago.

Thanks a million for replying and helping me out. This was really bugging me and starting to ruin my weekend for such a normally routine maintenance procedure!!!

Thanks, Tim

Search this Thread