oil pressure for chevy 305

Old 07-05-03, 10:58 AM
Question oil pressure for chevy 305

Thanx for the quick response. The answer to that question begs another one !!! On startup in the morning, the oil pressure gauge indicates 30 - 35 ft. lbs, after the engine has warmed up, ( Approx. ten minutes ) the pressure says 20 - 25 ft.lbs. , while driving around the city, this will be maintained, however, when stopped, with motor running, the pressure drops to 10 ft.lbs., upon accelerating, the pressure goes back up to 20 ft.,lbs. Is this the normal response for a chevy 305 carbuerated engine.
Besides, the truck was lying up, not being driven for three weeks, and since the remote filter setup was installed, the exhaust pipe ( Dual exhaust) on the passenger side has been throwing out blue smoke. there was always some small amount of blue smoke from this exhaust pipe, but there has been a big increase since the remote setup was installed. Could there be a connection. Thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-03, 12:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it puffs blue on start up, that's valve stem seals.

Your 305 likely burns oil though . Make sure the PCV system is working correctly---no kinked or clogged hoses and put in a new valve.

Beyond that, likely bad rings causing the oil burning.

Old 07-06-03, 07:48 PM
Red face chevy 305, oil pressure, blue smoke

As a followup to your answer referring to cause of blue smoke coming from exhaust pipe. Since your last posted reply, I allowed the engine oil to settle to the base pan, overnight, and checked it, the first chance, at 0830 Sunday morning. I had gone completely overboard, when I topped up the oil, after installing the remote oil filter setup. The nearest I can figure, it was overfilled by approx 1 & 1/2 qts. After draining this amount from the base pan, Presto, no more "blue smoke emissions". As far as the reason for blue smoke, generally with 305's, there's no doubt that you're spot on. That's another project for the early fall. Thanx again for your help.

Old 07-07-03, 03:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good for you. Wherever you purchased the remote kit, they should be able to tell you the added oil capacity over using it on a stock 305.