Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

a/c

CO

07-07-03, 10:32 AM   #1  
a/c

Ok, I have noticed that after running my a/c ( I will switch over to vent in areas when I need to increase my speed; on-ramps; passing; etc). But, I have noticed that when I switch over to the vent that a gas like smell starts coming through the vents.
This is concerning me. I don't notice it when I just run the a/c straight without switching back and forth. Any ideas where that smell may be cooming from?

Thanks,
Shawn

1995 Chevy Corsica V6

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-07-03, 10:45 AM   #2  
knuckles
Define "gas like odor". Do you mean a raw fuel smell, or some other type of gas (refrigerant, etc.)?

Does the problem happen if you run only the vent, leaving the a/c off for the entire trip?

Can you smell the 'gas like odor' outside the car?

Visiting Guest

07-07-03, 10:51 AM   #3  
Joe_F
What type of gas does it smell like? Fuel? Natural gas? Oil?

I agree with Knuckles.

CO

07-10-03, 05:17 PM   #4  
I was afraid you were going to ask that. I would say a cross between fuel and a refrigerant.

Yes, you can smell it outside the car at times.

If I run the vent ONLY. It doesn't happen at all. Its when I use a combo of the a/c and vent.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-10-03, 05:35 PM   #5  
on a different car(dodge 2.2L) if the breather hose pops off of the air filter housing, you'll have all the engine's blowby gasses(pure exhaust fumes) pointed straight toward where the vent air intake is, right at the base of the windshield(cowl area), you might want to check the hose on your's. if i'm not mistaken, it's plumbed to the rubber hose leading to the throttle body, the other end should be firmly on the valve cover, as these hoses get old, they get very brittle and can easily crack, also look for a bit of oil that usually sprays out if that hose is compromised anywhere

it'a not a musty mildew smell, is it?

Visiting Guest

07-10-03, 05:43 PM   #6  
Quick
Possible anti-freeze leak at the heater core? (Hard to diagnose a smell using text though)

Visiting Guest

07-11-03, 06:56 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Original poster:

Has the problem been fixed?

Search this Thread