Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99' Contour problems

OH

07-07-03, 01:31 PM   #1  
99' Contour problems

I have a 1999 Ford Conour with the 2.0 liter 4-cyl. engine, and an auto transmission. A while back, I had a problem with the car stuttering when you take off from a stop, to the point where it felt as though it was going to die a couple of times. I finally took it into a shop, and they replaced the MAF sensor, and said it was fixed. That was about 2 months ago, and it hasn't happened since. Well, yesterday, after about a half hour of driving, the car suddenly just shut itself off. All the warning lights came on, and the car just died. I was able to restart the car, and then drive it without problems back to the shop where I had it fixed previously. That being said, I have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone think the 2 problems are related?

2) Does anyone have any idea what could have happened?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-07-03, 01:46 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Tough to say unless it happens again. Was a Ford MAF used or a used one, aftermarket?

OH

07-07-03, 01:51 PM   #3  
I'm almost certain it was a Ford MAF.....

What's weird is I never saw a CEL, even when the stuttering was happening, and even now.

Visiting Guest

07-07-03, 01:52 PM   #4  
Joe_F
May not set the MIL, even with a bad one, usually does though.

Make sure it was a new Ford MAF. Some aftermarket ones vary widely in quality.

OH

07-07-03, 02:20 PM   #5  
Would that make the car shut off, though? I would think it would affect performance more than something that can shut the car down.....

Visiting Guest

07-07-03, 04:50 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Sure would, I have seen it happen. I've tapped MAFs with a screwdriver handle and stalled a car . That indicates a bad connection inside.

Search this Thread