Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

mind blown

Visiting Guest

07-07-03, 03:51 PM   #1  
dehurt
mind blown

i replaced the fuel pump in my car now it wont start, it acts like it has no gas. it does not have a fuel cut off so i dont no what else to do. i marked everyhthing before i started so i know it was put back correctly. also i bought a fuel relay but i can not locate where it goes, my haynes repair manuel has nothing in it about that relay. the car is : 1990 dodge caravan 2.5 engine 4 cyl. no turbo. i dont no what else to do . PLEASE HELP ME!!!! than you

Sponsored Links

07-07-03, 04:27 PM   #2  
Did it run prior to the pump replacement?If so you did something wrong or the new pump is bad,very rare.I've seen split hoses between the pump and tank unit so I hope you changed that.Keep us posted.

Visiting Guest

07-07-03, 04:35 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Always start with the basics.

1) Does it have spark?
2) Can you hear the fuel pump energize when you turn the key on?
3) Is fuel spraying in the throttle body unit?
4) If you drop some fuel or Gumout into the TBI unit, will it fire, run and then stall out in a few seconds?
5) What brand of pump did you use? If not an OEM or an aftermarket who buys the OEM Walbro pump, the problem may be the pump---poor quality.

etc, etc, etc. etc.

Visiting Guest

07-07-03, 10:52 PM   #4  
spooge031
did u try a pick-up?

the 2.5 chrysler motor still uses a pick-up coil under the distrubitor cap and that is the ONLY way the computer "knows" that you are trying to start the car, no signal from the pick-up the computer wont fire the fuel pump.

07-08-03, 12:18 PM   #5  
just a far fetched thought, but did you replace the fuel filter at the same time??

Most fuel filters today have to be installed one way, and have a direction for fuel flow. Perhaps you installed the fuel filter backwards?

Search this Thread