A/C interference with radio

Old 07-08-03, 04:30 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
A/C interference with radio

I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra with 118K miles on it. Recently I have been geting loud static on the radio whenever I run my air conditioning. My radio is factory stock, and I only notice the static with distant FM radio stations (>20 miles away). The static does change with engine RPMs. I believe the A/C system is all mechanical except for the clutch, so I don't see how it can affect the radio. The only thing I can think of is that the added load it puts on the engine is causing problems.

I did a tune up at 85K miles, replacing wires and plugs. Could they have gone bad already? Also, I recently had to replace my radio antena (with Hyundai OEM) when two feet of melting snow slid off of the trunk bending the old antena in half. Could the antena mount have been damaged by the snow causing the trouble?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-03, 05:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'd say you have bad plug wires. Classic symptom. Did you use OEM Hyundai wires?

Old 07-08-03, 05:56 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
Yes, I used Hyundai OEM wires. They were somewhat expensive, in the range of 80 bux for a set of four. That's probably where they get their profits from- tune up and repair parts. I was hoping they would last a little bit longer for that price.

Old 07-08-03, 06:14 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Some cars are finiky about plugs and wires. Did you use exact replacements. Also recheck the ant. mounting. Is the noise from the ac blower motor or ac itself.

Old 07-08-03, 06:36 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
The wires were exact replacements, from the dealer. The noise is the same no matter what the blower motor speed is, and it only happens when I turn on the A/C. I will check the antena mount again, and probably go ahead and replace the wires. If that doesn't fix the problem, I guess I'll check my wiring diagrams and follow the antena line from the radio to the antena. There could be some kind of an RF filter in the line that has gone bad.

Old 07-08-03, 07:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You're about ripe for another tune up. 33k is about time.

Search this Thread