km's manual transmission fluid should be changed

Old 07-08-03, 07:51 AM
whendel
Visiting Guest
km's manual transmission fluid should be changed

Hi,
i have a 99 cavalier z24, 2.4 ltr 5 speed.
Checked the service manual about when to change manual transmission fluid, manual said it doesn't need to be changed so that gave me absolutely no info.
I know that all fluids on any vehicle need to be changed at some point, even ones in sealed units.
I looked at a previous thread on the subject but didn't see an answer to my question.
At how many km's should the manual transmission be changed and how often should it be changed.
I drive approximately 120 km's daily (for work).
if you need more info let me know

txs,
Wendy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-03, 07:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Me personally? I'd do it every 25k like an automatic tranny. If there's a drain and refill plug, it should be a snap to do.

Old 07-08-03, 08:00 AM
whendel
Visiting Guest
so every 25,000 km's...is there a filter involved anywhere?
If it's just a matter of draining the fluid i can handle that myself.
If there's a filter involved is it easily accesable?

Old 07-08-03, 08:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
25,000 miles. Should just be a drain and refill of the recommended fluid.

That's how it is on my 1979 Trans Am 4 speed.

Old 07-08-03, 08:10 AM
whendel
Visiting Guest
ok, so every 25,000 miles is about 40,000 km's...give or take

thanks again joe,

wendy

Old 07-08-03, 11:52 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
I would change it also, but every 25k? For a manual tranny? I would atleast double that. Come on Joe, we know you never did nor ever will put 25k on your tenth!

Old 07-08-03, 12:03 PM
I would agree with every 25k or so.

I followed my old ignorant advice and went 30k in 3 years without changing or checking the fluid in my manual mustang tranny. (a freshly rebuilt tranny) Since there is no dipstick, and really no scheduled changeout times, I thought I was fine, wrong.

I developed a leak, unknown to me, leaked out all the fluid without realizing it (was a slow drip), and blew up my tranny.

Had I thought to add to/check, and/or replace, I would not have to dump in all this stupid cash into another tranny.

Old 07-08-03, 12:12 PM
whendel
Visiting Guest
ok...now you guys are just confusing me.

which one is it?

joe said 25k in his original reply, then changed it in his next reply to 25,000 miles.
So i adjusted for the difference and said 40,000 km's for the conversion.

So which one is it....25,000 km's or 40,000 km's?
I am only asking because if it's only 25,000 km's i need it done now, if it's 40,000 i can wait a couple of months.

txs,
Wendy

Old 07-08-03, 12:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
25k=25,000 miles. Convert to KM as needed for our Canadian friends

Redneck: Gearbox fluid $2.00
Price of new Super T10: Priceless.

I'll change it every year just to have a look that things are OK underneath .

Old 07-08-03, 12:17 PM
whendel
Visiting Guest
gotcha....
sorry about that...but when i saw the K after the 25 i just assumed you mean km's

thanks....again.

wendy

Old 07-09-03, 12:21 AM
Visiting Guest
not quite a chevrolet, but another major import manufacturer(who happens to use a T-5 in some applications) recommends changing all fluids(including manual trans) at the first 15,000 'miles' then every 30,000 'miles' thereafter(30,60,90,120,000miles) when i follow these guidlines for the customers, these things last forever!

note to jtompson: T-5's blow up even with fluid in them, i think third gear is made out of glass i've bebuilt so many. a freshly rebuilt trans shouldn't develop a leak in even 30,000 miles, i'd be on the phone with someone letting them know my 'displeasure' of their services, not that you would get anything out of it, but letting them know that they have room for improvement. if you're powershifting a t5 behind a 5.0, i'd be replacing the fluid every 12,000 miles or using synthetic. i guess you now know what else to check when you're under the car changing the oil.

Old 07-09-03, 05:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True.

Again, fluid is cheap insurance. Trannies are expensive (and for some, parts are difficult to find; i.e. Super T-10 ).