Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

02 sensor 1996 grand caravan

Visiting Guest

07-08-03, 12:29 PM   #1  
TClyde01
02 sensor 1996 grand caravan

please tell me the best/easiest way to remove sensor then install new one?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-08-03, 12:31 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Using either an open end wrench the correct size (about 19mm) or a socket made for this purpose (Autozone has them or will rent you one) remove it after removing the electrical connector.

Install it snug and plug in the connector again. Done.

07-08-03, 04:58 PM   #3  
If your van has a 3.0 liter, sometimes it's easiest to take the air filter box off, and reach over the top of the engine to remove and replace the O2 sensor..If you don't have a "proper" socket, 7/8" combo wrench works just fine...

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-08-03, 11:45 PM   #4  
yes, if it's a 3.0L it's best to get the upstream sensor from the top on a COLD engine(minus the airbox), the downstream sensor is obviously easier from the bottom

if it is a (more popular) 3.3 or 3.8L, the only way i know is with an offset 'crowsfoot' looking socket from the bottom, there's no room above the sensor for a conventional socket and it's set into a recess. note: the engine must be ice cold or you will get second and third degree burns as you will be leaning on the catalytic converter to get the upstream out, the downstream is a piece of cake

i haven't replaced one on a 2.4L yet, not very popular, but with the airbox out, i think you can see/replace it from the top (upstream)--- downstream is, as always, easier from the bottom

note2: you will have to drive for a few days until the computer retests the system and it passes two to three times in a row until it will turn the light off, provided you changed the correct sensor

all sensors regardless of engine is a 7/8"

Search this Thread