tcole
Visiting Guest
1967 Mustang Rebuild

How do you change timing belt, and Harmonic balancer

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-03, 10:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There's no timing belt to my knowledge on these vehicles, they are all chains. You can rent a balancer puller from Autozone or buy one from Sears for about 30 bucks.

I suggest if you are going to restore or work on one of these Mustangs, you pick up a good repair manual for it.

They can be found on Ebay among other book vendors out there such as Dan Bower [email protected], Dan Klein at [email protected] , and Dave's Books on Ebay.

Old 07-09-03, 02:18 PM
Joe's right, the old stangs, and even the newers all use timing chains, not belts and there is no "recommended" replacement intervals---according to the Ford Dealer (I called once, but that doesn't stop you from replacing it if bad)

I had a 67 stang for a while. Picked it up for $700, after my friend dumped a grand into it and it still looked/ran like crud. I dumped another grand into it, and it looked no different, although it did run, and eventually I sold it for $700 with an easy $1000 worth of parts. It soaked up every dime I had and then some.

The old collector cars are fun to have, but it is good advice to pick up a real good manual on these cars, so you are aware of what you may or may not be diving into before you do.