Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1967 Mustang Rebuild

Visiting Guest

07-09-03, 10:04 AM   #1  
tcole
1967 Mustang Rebuild

How do you change timing belt, and Harmonic balancer

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-09-03, 10:10 AM   #2  
Joe_F
There's no timing belt to my knowledge on these vehicles, they are all chains. You can rent a balancer puller from Autozone or buy one from Sears for about 30 bucks.

I suggest if you are going to restore or work on one of these Mustangs, you pick up a good repair manual for it.

They can be found on Ebay among other book vendors out there such as Dan Bower [email protected], Dan Klein at [email protected] , and Dave's Books on Ebay.

07-09-03, 02:18 PM   #3  
Joe's right, the old stangs, and even the newers all use timing chains, not belts and there is no "recommended" replacement intervals---according to the Ford Dealer (I called once, but that doesn't stop you from replacing it if bad)

I had a 67 stang for a while. Picked it up for $700, after my friend dumped a grand into it and it still looked/ran like crud. I dumped another grand into it, and it looked no different, although it did run, and eventually I sold it for $700 with an easy $1000 worth of parts. It soaked up every dime I had and then some.

The old collector cars are fun to have, but it is good advice to pick up a real good manual on these cars, so you are aware of what you may or may not be diving into before you do.

Search this Thread