Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vapor lock?

Visiting Guest

07-10-03, 07:45 AM   #1  
ramron
vapor lock?

My daughter has a 1992 Ford Tempo, 4 cyl, - driving in very hot weather she has had a complete stall after losing power but after a few minutes it will start up again and run OK. I am replacing the fuel filter for her but am wondering if this could be a vapor lock as was suggested by the parts store. Also what is this misterious 'vapor lock' and where in the fuel system would it occur. This is a throttle body fuel injected system. One more piece of information: Ethanol fuel is being used, and the car has 102,000 miles.[[email protected]]

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-10-03, 08:29 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Ethanol? Why?

Use regular 87 grade fuel. Vapor lock can occur because of a fuel line too close to a heat source.

When it stalls and you try to restart it, have you checked for spark?

A likely cause is a bad TFI distributor mounted ignition module. Very high failure item on Ford products---so much so there is a class action settlement against Ford on it.

Visiting Guest

07-10-03, 09:52 AM   #3  
truckdrivinfool
Joe: Ethanol because here in Iowa where corn is king the 90 octane eth blend is cheaper by usually 3 - 4 cents a gal.

Visiting Guest

07-10-03, 10:21 AM   #4  
Joe_F
True, but it can wreak havoc on the fuel system in high enough concentrations.

I have a friend in Portland, OR that is a mechanic out there who always tells me of poor quality fuel that he comes across.

Search this Thread