'00 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 3.8

Old 07-10-03, 10:08 AM
bigbuckseeker
Visiting Guest
Exclamation '00 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 3.8

The fuel pump relay fuse continues to blow when turning the ignition switch to the "on" position. I have replaced this fuse numerous times, replaced the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-03, 10:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Likely a dead short to ground. 2000 vehicle, I'd let the dealer handle th e problem free of charge with the GM factory warranty.

Old 07-10-03, 10:30 AM
bigbuckseeker
Visiting Guest
'00 Monte Carlo SS

I have installed the fuse. The fuse is hot on both sides. If there was a dead short, it should blow immediately. It only blows when you are starting to crank the engine. I was curious if the starting relay could cause this short problem. My warranty has expired. It was purchased used, and currently has 83,000+ miles.

Old 07-10-03, 10:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure, a dead short to ground when you close the circuit (turn or crank ).

Check alldata.com for any known bulletins that pertain to your problem---start there.

Old 07-10-03, 06:59 PM
Visiting Guest
something is shorted somewhere, with a wiring diagram in hand(photocopied from the library maybe) i'd eliminate everything else on the circuit, then i'd unplug one connector at a time including the relay, starting from the fuel pump until the fuse doesn't blow when cranking, then you'll have the wire narrowed down at least to between two connectors

does anyone here know when gm stopped(if ever) using the oil pressure switch as a backup to energize the pump, bypassing the relay?? if it is still used, unplug that too in your quest.

Old 07-11-03, 06:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

I believe they still might. Some of the earlier part #s that have this "feature" carry over into later years.